Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Kin Policy and Charter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trower

re: Structure and Policy

Structure

The leadership of Courserrim shall consist of a tri-leader panel, elected by the members of Courserrim and serving for a one year period, upon which nominations will be accepted and new leaders elected. Existing and past leaders are eligible for re-election. Let it be known that the 1st day of November will be established as a call for nominations with elections following 1 week after. Transfer of leadership shall occur on the 15th of November. Existing leadership will be responsible for future election processes.

The tri-leader panel shall be responsible for maintaining and administering the day to day activities of the Kin, Kin House and Website. The Leaders shall act as arbitrators for any Kin-wide decisions and any conflicts. Decisions shall be made on a consensus basis amongst the 3 leaders with advice from the Officers and input from the members.

Officers of Courserrim shall be appointed by the Leaders and shall exist of 2 members representing each of the areas noted below. Officer responsibilities include; recruitment, activities, events and all decisions affecting their respective areas. Officers shall also have moderator status of the forums.

Co-Officers will be appointed representing NA (North America) East, NA West, European and Oceanic. A total of eight officer positions shall be made available. Positions will be filled dictated by the needs of the Kin.

Policy

Courserrim is a mature Kin consisting of individuals that excel at helping one another. We strive for a casual, comfortable place to spend some free time with friends and play a part in a Tolkien-like world. Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. Taking part in instances, skirmishes, events and informal role play is encouraged but not mandatory.

The Kin was born out of the Coursera class "Online Games: Literature, New Media and Narrative" and aims to provied a home to all like-minded adventurers on the Landroval Server. Existing or current class enrollment is not a requirement to join the Kin.

All Kin members are welcome to mentor new students of the class "Online Games: Literature, New Media and Narrative" as they arrive and if they arrive. This is completely voluntary and not a requirement of the Kin.

It is the right of the Leaders, Officers and members of Courserrim to amend these policies as necessary to meet the expectations and needs of the Kin and its membership. Any proposed policy changes will be presented to the Leaders and will be ratified by the Members.

Mirubea

This is eloquently written, thank you, Trower! I like the structure and think it is robust enough to manage the many aspects that come along with Kin management. It also looks forward well to the various possibilities of kin functions. I don't have any changes to suggest.

I have been a guild leader in another game for several years and know this is a lot of work. I really appreciate your efforts!

Mirubea

Actually, I do have one comment after thinking about nominations.

Regarding officer nominations at http://courserrim.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9778538&gid=345552, people will need to identify their regions for proper distribution. That may pose a problem if a disproportionate percentage of the candidates are from one or two regions. I would hate to sideline a potential good leader because there are already two others from that region, especially if there are insufficient numbers from the other regions.

Should we edit the distribution of officer language to indicate that the regional model is preferred, ideal, recommended; but that if there aren't enough people it can be overridden to allow for more from one region, in order to completely fill the ranks?

Trower

Good point on the regional bit for the Officers Miru. I'll add that to the original post.

thanks

Siltharan
Officer

Looks good! I believe I heard someone mention that in-game only a leader and a backup are recognized. While we could make those titles simply for show (and add position information in the notes part of the kin character list in-game), there likely are more kin-related responsibilities for the chosen leader in-game (I don't know what's available to the leader since I've never been one myself). We'll have to decide who takes those two spots out of the 3 co-leaders for the kin itself.

Brunwing

There are more responsibilities for the Leader of the kinship in the game, as well as the XO. Only the Leader and Founder *if LOTRO still has that post* can promote a Kinsman/woman to Officer. Also, they have some of the widest-array of access for a Kin House, maintenance for said house, ability to send Kin-wide PMs...I believe that is most of it. If I am missing something, please speak up! I've only gotten this second-hand from my own kin leaders...and as an officer :)

Siltharan
Officer

I know Kinship Mail is available to officers as I was able to send one out to all of Courserrim. :)

Trower

So, after some more research and reading the comments here, we may have to redefine things a bit. I'm still good with having a tri-leader type of set-up at least on paper, but we may have to have one named "leader" for lotro administrative purposes. The Founder (Dinenthor) is currently our official leader and most of the original members are officers. I'm not sure if the founder can change, I do know he can appoint a leader. If anyone gets Dinenthor's ear let him know what's going on and see if he has any input.

Gilhilde

Not sure what the situation is with Dinenthor, but if the kin leader does not log in for a certain number of days (35? I'm not sure of the exact number), leadership opens up to his successor if he has appointed one, or officers if there is no successor. If no one steps up after a certain number of days, it opens to all members, and if no one steps up then, the kinship is disbanded. 

Briallan
Officer

Founder is always founder and cannot be changed; AFAIK the only in-game effect of being the founder is that you are the first leader (and you get the Founder title).

As for the wide-ranging powers and access of the leader, I believe all of that can be delegated in-game to officers, or to whoever else the leader chooses. For example, Dinenthor once gave me temporary access to the Vigil kin house administrative functions (as a test, so I could see how it worked). That might be why our officers can send kin-wide mail as well.

So, even if there is only one leader and one successor recognized by LOTRO, I don’t see any obstacle that that will keep us from going forward with a plan for a tri-leadership. As Trower has pointed out, other kins have multiple leaders. The most important issue IMHO is that the three leaders are recognized by the kin members as leaders, and that those three leaders work together with the kin membership in the way envisioned by our evolving kin structure and policy.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Kin Policy and Charter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum