Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siltharan
Officer

re: New Forum Names

Hello, Courserrim!

I went ahead and made a couple name changes to our forums (News -> The Kinship Crier, Music -> Minstrel Mayhem, Crafting -> The Crafting Hall, Member Discussion -> The Prancing Pony). Any suggestions for changing these, or perhaps naming our Questing forum/other forums? I wasn't really sure how to name the others.

Plus I'm considering adding an OOC-type forum for discussions outside of LOTRO. Anyone think this would be a good addition? My hope is that it could be used for discussions beyond gaming and perhaps build our kin as a community.

Gilhilde

Heee! Cute names!  I'm not good at coming up with clever things like that, but I do think an off-topic forum is a good idea.

Briallan
Officer

One of the things I was wondering if there was any interest in a forum about Tolkien and the romance/fantasy genre, to discuss the type of subject matter issues that we discussed when the LOTRO course was still in session. I am pretty interested in such a discussion, though I don't really  have a particular topic in mind to start it off ... maybe something will burst into my consciousness in the next couple days.

I'm sort of intrigued as well by Siltharan's suggestion for an off-topic forum, which could be a lot of fun, but I'm not really sure what the intended subject matter is -- is it anything non-LOTRO, like other games, RL stuff, the government shutdown, Scientology, debates about Roe v. Wade?

One thing I'd be a little concerned about is that, right now, I think we have a great community, since we have a lot of shared feeling about LOTRO, LOTR and romance literature. I wouldn't like to hurt that by starting to discuss issues that people might have big disagreements about.

OOC ... is out-of-character? Out-of-control? Briallan might be good at the latter, but tries to restrain herself in public...

Gilhilde

My other kinship has a thing called a shout box on their forum page, which is very handy for giving kinnies short messages. Is that an option for us? I don't know anything about setting up the guildlaunch pages as that was already done when I joined. Anyone know how to do this or have thoughts about whether it would be useful? 

Briallan
Officer

There are site templates that we might be able to use for a shout box. Could you point us to an example of this, so we have some idea what the feature would look like, and how it would work in practice?

Siltharan
Officer

Messing around with the Shoutbox... Seems to work. It's a widget we can edit (Bri: Top right next to Admin). Going to delete it from forums and check out where else I can put it.

Brunwing

This is my other kin's site, which is on a different sitehost but has a "shout-box" : http://thenightwatch.shivtr.com/ 

OOC is Out of Character. 

Off-topic might be nice but it could also wait until we are more established...mayhap a "where we hail from" or when we started LOTRO...experience-sharing could be in an OOC sub-forum or in one of the ones already made :) 

Gilhilde

I don't know if non members can see the shout box? But there is one here: http://parents.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=213470 as well as here: http://kwl.guildlaunch.com/forums/index.php?gid=230720

Briallan
Officer

Actually, Siltharan's got it up already (in the left column, below the "Last Forum Posts" section) -- check it out, and see if you like the location, or maybe would prefer it above "last forum posts." Brun's site has it high in the right column, but we have ads there ....

Siltharan
Officer

I moved it up above the Calendar. Not sure whether it's better there or somewhere else. If we were a paid site, I'd put it on the right hand side where the ad is.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: