View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syene
Severin.

re: The Happy Hobbit Kitchen

You don't have to be a hobbit to love good food. I'm creating this recipe thread as the subject has come up several times in the coursera channel in-game. (If you have yet to join the channel, just type '/joinchannel coursera' and hit enter/return and you'll be in!

So let's get to some recipes, shall we?  Ok, if you insist, I'll start:

Frugal Gourmet's Figgy Pudding

Cream one stick butter until fluffy, beat in two eggs and one cup molasses. Add two cups dried figs, 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel, one cup buttermilk, and 1/2 cup walnuts; blend one minute. Add 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Blend until incorporated. Pour into a greased/floured 8x4 soufflé dish and bake 1 hour at 325 degrees. Garnish with whipped cream. For added fun, pour over with brandy and set alight!

Albertine_Courserrim

This is a yummy and seasonal recipe from my blog. I bet Samwise Gamgee would like them!

Cardamom Biscuits

These are a bit like gingerbread, but the cardamom really lifts them and gives an almost lemony flavour that stops them being too heavy and cloying. Depending on whether you cut them into slices or roll them into balls you’ll either get a thin, crisp biscuit or a puffier, more cakey cookie. Both types are delicious though.

Ingredients:
200g plain flour
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp mixed spice
seeds from 4 cardamom pods
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g butter
100g sugar
2 tbsp honey

1) Sieve the flour, ginger, mixed spice, cardamom and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the dry ingredients, rubbing the butter into the flour as you would when making crumble, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.

2) Put the sugar and honey into a pan and heat gently until melted – it takes quite a while for the sugar to stop feeling grainy, so be careful not to burn it! You may need to keep stirring quite a bit to stop it from catching.

3) Working quickly, pour the syrup into the flour mixture and stir like mad to combine it. Once it is cool enough to handle, shape it into a roll, wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge for half an hour or so to chill. While you’re waiting, preheat the oven to 180c/350f/Gas Mark 4.

4) When you take the biscuit dough out of the fridge, it might be firm enough to cut into slices. If it is, then cut the slice about ¼ cm thick and lay out on a greased baking tray. If the dough is too crumbly for this then don’t panic – you can form it into walnut sized balls, flatten them slightly and put on the baking tray.

5) Bake for around 15 minutes – they’re ready when the edges brown slightly but the middles may still be a bit soft.

From: http://dorristheloris.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/christmas-gift-ideas-cardamom-biscuits/

Syene
Severin.

That's a lovely recipe, Albertine! And just yesterday I bought a kitchen scale, so now I don't have to convert grams/ounces etc anymore. Might just try this, thanks :D

Hopefully others will join in and post some of their favorites. 

Ice Weasel

I'm often a Got-'n'-Dump cook (I see what I Got and then I Dump it in the dish).  I've also learned that a crock-pot is delightful, since it does the majority of the work while you do other things (like play LOTRO).

Here is a favorite of the maison, using the crock-pot. I call it "Merlot Chili", but any good, full-bodied red wine works about as well.  In this recipe, time is key... you'll want at least 18 if not 24 hours for this to come out the best.

• Pinto Beans (1 can, drained)
  • Red Beans (1 can, drained)
  • Black Beans (1 can, drained)
  • Garbanzo Beans (1 can, drained)
  • Sweet Corn (optional) (1 can, drained)
  • Stewing Beef (chunked, not ground)
  • 2 medium Onions, chopped
  • Chilies... Chopped. *
  • Chili Powder (to taste)
  • Garlic (clove is better... powder if you must. If cloved, start with 3 cloves (not BULBS) per pot. If it's too mild, add more next time.)
  • Small handful of rice (I like Brown Rice in this)
  • 1 can Tomatoes, diced
  • Red Wine (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Shiraz all work well) (my crockpot takes about 1/2 to 2/3 bottle. With the meat on the bottom of the pot evenly, the wine ought to just cover the meat.)

*Go with your preference. Milder? then something tamer like Anaheim chiles, or poblano chiles. Moderate chilies include the chipotle chile, and the jalapeño chile. I wouldn't go hotter for this dish, as it isn't about the fire, but the blend of flavor. 

• Put Stew meat, onions, garlic, wine and dry spices in a covered crock pot on low for at least 12 to 24 hours. The longer you go on this step, the more the meat falls apart, and the "spoonier" the resulting dish is.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients except for the tomato, cook for another 8 hours on low..
  • Add diced tomatoes half hour before serving.
  • Serve with grated cheese and chopped onion in side dishes to let people add their own, in sour dough bread bowls if you can get them, or just with a good, thick bread on the side for "dipping".

Note the selection of beans can vary widely, as well. I use what I have in the cupboard. I usually stock those listed.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Ice Weasel

Not a meal, but something wonderful to have on hand when playing LOTRO on a winters evening:

Spiced Apple Cider

• 2 quarts organic apple cider
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons whole cloves
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 2 oranges, sliced
  • 2 lemons, sliced

Mix all ingredients and bring just to a boil

Simmer for 10 minutes, or leave on the lowest heat (or in a slow cooker) to keep warm. 

Serve with orange or lemon slices, or a cinnamon stick.

I have a large electric Samovar style coffee urn. This can sit in that all evening, not scorch, and remain piping hot for company or just the family.

Tacie
TacieCourserrim

I have to say Ice Weasel's bean recipe sounds great!

I personally consider myself a Mad Scientist sort of cook. If I consult recipes at all it I use them as loose guidelines. ;-D

Having said that, this is a Pumpkin Stew I like to make:

Pumpkin Stew

1 large or 2 small cans plain pumpkin

1 32oz carton chicken broth

2 cans corn

1-2 cans diced green chilies

1 pint half n’ half or cream

1 small or 1/2 large onion, chopped

2 - 3 cloves garlic (to taste), minced

1 lb cooked chorizo

1 TBS olive oil

Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil. Add cooked chorizo, pumpkin, broth, and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. About 5 minutes before serving add half n’ half.

Special Note: I like to freeze this Stew in serving size containers. When I do I leave out the Half n' Half or Cream until after thawing and rewarming.

Additional Note: I like to make a lot of soups, stews and dishes like red beans and rice in the winter. I generally make them in fairly large quantities and then freeze them in serving size containers. This way I always have something good to eat that can be fixed quickly without being junk food.

Albertine_Courserrim

Going beyond the borders of Middle Earth to Narnia for this one - at Syene's request, here's the recipe for Jadis, the White Witch of Narnia's favourite winter beverage - to be drunk in winter, but never Christmas!

Turkish Delight Vodka

350g chopped up Turkish Delight

450ml vodka

1) Rinse the icing sugar off the Turkish Delight (I think it might be called confectioner's sugar in the US?).

2) Put Turkish Delight in a bittle with the vodka, tighten the lid and shake for 2 minutes.

3) Store in a cool dark place, shaking twice a day for a week until Turkish Delight has dissolved.

4) Drink, or use to ruin young men to prevent them seizing your crown.

Jestro/Pinestro/knifesedge
Officer

I just brewed a batch of my own cider, but it's too dry for the wife, so maybe i'll try and use some for your recipe!

Pin

Pinestro 100 Warden

Diaspora 100 Captain

Pinhealer Approaching 100 Minstrel

and many others...
Jestro/Pinestro/knifesedge
Officer

That Turkish Delight Vodka looks awesome ! I've made a lot of fruit vodkas but this sounds very special.

Pinestro 100 Warden

Diaspora 100 Captain

Pinhealer Approaching 100 Minstrel

and many others...
Syene
Severin.

The Pumpkin Stew is a "gotta try" as is the Spiced Apple Cider... and the Turkish Delight Vodka is....also! Where in the world am I going to find Turkish Delight candy though? Hm, might can find some on my next visit to New Orleans in a few weeks. Thanks for the recipes, keep them coming.

PS - Pin, you should post your cider recipe, I've been into fermented foods for about a year now. So fun!

Ice Weasel

Looks like Amazon carries all sorts of Turkish Delight, and conveniently in 350 gram packages, too!

http://amzn.to/1crkFQv

Albertine_Courserrim

re: Turkish delight

If you're feeling really ambitious you can make the Turkish Delight from scratch too! http://titlisbusykitchen.com/recipe/turkish-delight

(NB not a recipe I've tried so can't comment on what it's like but it does have American ingredient measurements)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> OOC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: