View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Albertine_Courserrim

re: VoIP/Chat client preference

Like Hobb and Duil, I'm also wary of voice, because when you're communicating in text, you don't have things like accents and speech quirks to factor in. I'm a pretty fast talker, especially when I'm nervous/self conscious (which I would be on VOIP) and I know from past comments from coworkers etc that it makes it quite hard to understand what I'm saying sometimes.

And that's bearing in mind that English is my first language and I'm British so hopefully not too much of an accent adjustment, but I think it would potentially be harder for international players.

Basically, my two pence/cents are that whatever is decided it should be to make things easier/more inclusive, and have a text option too, because nobody wants to be in a position where they feel like they are bringing a raid down or feeling like a hindrance because of speaking/comprehension issues.

Briallan
Officer

This is a good discussion and I would like to see it continue -- a few things that have struck me so far are the following:

We have multiple group activities that we currently do (or plan to do) and the same solution may not work for all of them, depending on what the activity is, and who is participating in it. For example, for reasons already expressed in this thread, I think it makes sense to continue using typed chat for band activities. However, people who do instances and raids may find they would prefer to use a voice solution, or a typed chat solution, or both, depending on which players are involved, and what instance is being done.

As for voice chat, I think we should continue to discuss options since I can see a place for it in at least some of our activities. However if we decide on ventrilo or mumble or teamspeak there is the issue of how to pay for it since I think these are all nonfree -- or at least they seem to scale up in costs to support more and more people being on at once. So the issue might come down to ... x and y are great, but no one wants to pay for it ... on the other hand google chat and Skype are not so good but they are acceptable and they are free. Still if something costs like $12 a month, and 12 people are willing to pay to support it, that's only $12 per year per person

I don't know how other kinships make these decisions -- I am thinking we might eventually arrive at something that enough people are willing to support with actual money, then one person might take the initiative and set it up and then take contributions. If that doesn't happen, I am certainly willing to help test some free options and publicize how to use them. Well, after I catch up on my homework that is....

Trower

Using voice commands definitely makes running instances much easier and successful, however are not necessary; at least until you get into higher level raids. Some raid runners will go so far as making it mandatory and I can understand that. What we used to do in "the old days" before voip was to hold in depth briefings before hand followed by critiques via the forums. Worked out pretty well, but as you can imagine many events took a few runs before you got things down.

I understand and agree with the comments made regarding losing the preconceived  image we've concocted relating to a character after hearing their voice. It does take away from the mystery. 

I've also been in guilds that used voip as their main form of  guild communication, forgoing in game chat completely-- I wasn't a fan.

Briallan
Officer

One other thing I had forgotten about -- there is voice chat built directly into LOTRO, so we could use that for instances if we wanted to, right? I have used it in fellowships, and it seems to work fine.

I understand that this will not work as a general voice chat solution for people who aren't connected in fellowships and raids.. but from the discussion above, it seems that a good number of people who have expressed an opinion so far aren't in favor of replacing typed chat on the coursera channel with a voice chat system, so going to general voice chat would create two chat systems instead of one, which I don't think is a good idea as it would subdivide us.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> OOC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: