Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ice Weasel

re: HOT ITEM! Uninstall Pando Media Booster!

Some installations of LOTRO will include the Pando Media Booster. Check your programs, and if you have this installed, uninstall it ASAP. This will mostly be on older installations.

Turbine is asking that if you install LOTRO, at least for now, use the "Play Instantly" link or Steam.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?543107-Pando-Media-Booster-Please-read

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Albertine_Courserrim

Do we know why they've said that? Is it because it's obsolete, or a security concern or something else?

(I know you're not The Voice of Turbine, but just wondered if you'd heard anything )

I'm still patching together information, but it appears that some $#%$@&%#$!&% has spoofed PMB into accepting a malware payload as a LOTRO update, downloading and pre-installing portions as PMB did in honest good intentions with LOTRO.

PMB (Pando Media Booster) essentially acted as part Torrent host/client and part pre-installer, to speed up downloads and installations of LOTRO, among many more. I uninstalled it long ago (and for performance always uninstalled it between patches, to keep my system speed and my connection clean. This is the first security issue I've heard of with it.

Ice Weasel

Sorry for the double-post, but I've gotten some more details.

Pando Media Booster was shut down in August 2013.  Turbine has since moved their downloader for the Live game client to Happy Cloud.

There is no reason to keep PMB on your system.  It is (obviously, now) a security threat to keep it there. Details on the attack are being kept sketchy, so copy-cats aren't spawned. Note that the advisory was fist posted from the Turbine Customer Support, so if you DO have an issue, they might be a vector to a solution, even if they can't fix things directly (they may be able to get you to someone who can).

PLEASE NOTE: as of a check earlier today, the BULLROARER client (to test beta code) may still be vulnerable. Please check LOTRO official forums, community sites like LOTRO Players to keep current on further information. I'll do my best to update this as I get more, but the information well might be about dry.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: