Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbelion

re: New Untested songs

I have some untested songs that I would like to test. One might be good for one of the festivals (Millenial Fair). The others are more dramatic. I would love to do another video game concert at some point, but need to make more songs.

Ice Weasel

Cool!  Will grab them for a listen.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Hobbelion

You asked for a multi part version of Millenial Fair so that's what's in it. I actually think it's great although I would do it with horn instead of bagpipes.

I am also finding that Super Nintendo games seems to be the sweet spot for video game music. Playstation games on start to become more complicated with complicated instrumentation. There are some cool songs in the Playstation era, but it's almost difficult to remediate them with the instruments that we have. The exceptions being Decisive Battle from Final Fantasy Tactics which I'm very happy with and Execution Site Battle theme which I think is a okay remediation, but still faithfully captures. The biggest problem I seem to have is that most instruments in LOTRO doesn't allow for sustained notes which makes some songs impossible such as Anxious Heart from Final Fantasy VII which the opening is pretty much a series of sustained notes.

Well I blathered enough, but wanted to share my experiences so far.

Briallan
Officer

Well, other people on the LOTRO music scene have commented that its hard to mimic piano and strings well, so you either have to drop it or replace it by other instruments that don't have the same 'feel'.

One conclusion I have come to is that it's often very hard to make an ABC that actually recreates the sound of the original for the reasons you mention. So, to do the song, you sort of need to think instead of doing a conversion that just works well with the instruments we have -- it may sound a lot different from the original but it can still sound good in its own way.

Listened to Anxious Heart on utube. There are plenty of instruments in lotro that can do sustained notes, but the problem here I think is that while the note is sustained, the volume changes (getting softer in this case). You actually CAN make the volume decrease as a note is sustained in a midi file or an ABC file (you have to do it in steps, but it may be so subtle that the ear can't detect the step if u do it gradually), but if that doesn't happen in the midi you have found, then you need to hand edit the ABC which would be a ton of work.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: