Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willamae

re: Celondim Comedy: November 22nd. Need Volunteers!

Celondim Comedy

An afternoon of fun, jokes, and laughter

Join us in Celondim, Ered Luin on November 22nd at 4:00 server time (EST) for an hour or more of stand-up comedy, songs, and dramatic performances. Come dressed in your showiest outfits — there will also be a (slightly unconventional) fashion contest. The Remediators will be playing from 3:30 to 4:00, so arrive early to enjoy their music!

The event will take place in a clearing south of the main area of Celondim. To find it, follow the path next to the docks straight south, up the stairs, and forward. Coordinates are 29.2S, 92.6W. There will also be an usher showing the way to attendees before the event starts.

The first part of the event is for performances by our volunteers, including audience participation, along with a fashion contest. The second part is open mic. Any attendees who want to tell stories or riddles, deliver jokes, play or sing along to music, or perform a comedic routine are welcome to do so!

Fashion Contest Categories:

Best Use of Mask

Best Use of Yellow Dye

Most Festiv(al) Spirit - This award goes to the outfit that best reflects the themes of a LotRO festival (Anniversary, Spring, Summer, Harvest, Fall, or Yule).

Elven Splendor - Wear an outfit that reflects your view of elven culture.

Contestants in Festiv(al) Spirit and Elven Splendor will be given a short amount of time to explain their outfit choices to the audience. Anything goes, if you have a good enough reason!

Emotes may be used while showing your outfit during the contest.

Disclaimer: Prizes will be fun, but not large-scale. So don't go dwarf-tossing if you didn't win the 1000 TP you wanted.

--

Italics = Things that are undecided about event

Okay, I don't know how to plan events. I'm the one who attends and dances along to music, but isn't involved in any way. I mean, until now. This was conceived when I saw Briallan's kin leadership change post and became interested in the position of social officer. Right now, I'm too busy to really consider it, but it did get me thinking of possible events to host. Thus, Celondim Comedy was born! Kind of. It was originally Shire Stand-Up, but Celondim had the best "stage" area (I spent more time than I probably should admit scouting locations :P). 

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is though I really want to make this happen, I need Courserrim's help! I don't know what day or time it should be (besides afternoon). Also, if scripted performances are going to happen, we need people that are willing to join and rehearse a few times (by scripted I mean the kinds of performances w/seemingly unexpected events that are actually planned ahead of time). A better title that doesn't rely on alliteration would be cool too. Lastly, I'd also love to do some Extra Life fundraising (laughter is the best medicine), but I'm not sure how. 

Sorry for rambling. If you like or dislike the idea or have suggestions to make it better, please tell me! I would love to make this successful and write some really funny stuff.

Last edited by Willamae on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
Briallan
Officer

I think this is a great idea! I've participated in several Landroval events similar to this, mostly from the point of view of playing the music for them, but I've seen how they were organized, so I have a lot of ideas as to how you would go about this (which I discuss with you maybe after I collect my thoughts a bit more). Also, were you thinking of this as a kinship-and-friends event, or were you thinking of it as an event to which the public would be invited (well, the Landroval public that is...)? ... since it would make a difference as to how it's publicized ...

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094

On the subject of staging areas, our kinship's housing area has a good space.

Willamae

Bri, I was intending it to be a public event for all of Landy.

I wrote 2 sketches yesterday, if anyone would like to read them. I could put them on a Google doc or on a separate thread.

Also, the stage in Thorin's housing is very nice. The only thing I don't like is the wall behind it, which can be kind of annoying when you're standing up there and want to zoom out your camera and look at more of the area. But I'd still be open to use any of the housing stages :)

As of October 12th, this post has become irrelevant, but I'll keep it up because posterity?

I've been working more on this event (shoutout to Bri for giving me tons of great advice), and can now post a non-definitive list of actors/volunteers needed. Also, the description of the event has been updated to include fashion contest details and to mention audience participation. At least, it will be updated sometime soon after I post this.

Actors Needed:

• 1 or 2 dwarf characters (one should be high level)
  • 2 elf characters (one should be low level)
  • Wo/man
  • Hobbit
  • 2 other actors
  • This may not be a complete list! More collaborative peformances may be written, and, of course, more actors are always accepted. 

Co-host/s

• We need co-hosts to help with audience participation in the beginning and end of the scripted performance section, and also to back me up in case my computer crashes (which is not unheard of). They can be just one other person, or if some one wants to co-host but can't stay for the whole thing*/wants to also watch the event, several people can switch out.

General Participants

• Also needed are people who can perform in either the scripted or open-mic sections of the event. If you aren't sure you can make it, shoot for open-mic. However, if you think you can make it to a few rehearsals and the actual event, contact me about being part of the first section of the show. Anything, including songs and jokes, is welcome! :)
  • You don't even have to perform something. Just knowing that you'll try to attend would be great!

If you want to be involved in any part/s of this event (writing, hosting, acting, organizing the fashion contest, etc), PM me on here or contact me ingame (Willamae).

* Date is not yet confirmed (you could probably tell by all the uses of "try"), but odds are it will be in the afternoon, and probably on a weekend.

Last edited by Willamae on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Why does this seem like an opportunity for some Whose Line games like Two Line Vocabulary or Questions Only?

Here's a list of dates to consider for CC. I haven't checked them against my schedule yet, but I want to start choosing a day asap so people know if they can participate. 

(All during Saturday afternoons) 

• November 8th
  • November 22nd
  • December 20th
  • January 3rd
  • If none of those work, January 10th is an option, but not an optimal one.

I tried to plan around other events on Landy (and major holidays). A November date sounds good to me, but it of course depends when other people can attend. Tell me which ones are good and which are bad, and also if I've missed important events that CC should definitely not take place on.  

-- Willamae

Edit: Took out December 6th - Notenzauber concert is that day. Also took out the 15th, found out I'm busy then.

Last edited by Willamae on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Ashigaru Trecalia

Of course, being from KWL, I would always defer to Courserrim preferences. However, to the extent it matters (and especially if anyone wants to play some Whose Line games with me at this), I'd ask for NOT December 20th, just because that's my birthdya and I have no idea where I'd be at that time.

A date for CC has been set - November 22nd (a Saturday). Starting time: 4:00 PM /servertime, with the Remediators playing from 3:30 to 4:00 beforehand. Now is the time to volunteer, before I start bugging you incessantlyabout it!

I'm currently typing up sketches to use with the Lyrical plugin. If anyone has an interest in seeing those (and the stage directions, which I'm not including there) before taking a part, let me know.

CC rehearsal this Sunday at 2 PM /servertime. Meet at Celondim stables. If you haven't gone to a rehearsal yet but still want to participate, there's still time - feel free to join us!

Anothe CC rehearsal this Sunday,  nov 2nd, at 2 PM /servertime. Meet at Celondim stables. Remember that Daylight Savings time ends tomorrow - don't be an hour early! This is the last call for anyone who wants to act in a preplanned sketch. After rehearsal tomorrow, all actor positions will be locked down (cohost and individual performance opportunities will remain open). Hope to see you there!

Two Line Vocabulary is a funny game, as we saw! If you'd like to write our scene, all you need is to pick what scene we'll do (one we did trying it out was "Three Adventurers Deciding Whether to go to Mirkwood or Isengard) and two sets of two lines for people (e.g. in that scene, the only things I was allowed to say were "But I'm afraid of the dark" and "Can't we just go home?") You could also make up a scene for us to play Questions Only or Number of Words with!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: