Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we move the Courserrim kinhouse to Bowing, Bree-land, where the Coursehood neighborhood is located?
Yes! More access to the Coursehood!
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Nah... We should stay in Thorin's Hall
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care... I'm always out in the field...
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

Bredhe
Leader

re: Moving the Kinhouse?

Hi kinnies and friends!

Limited travel and accessibility has sparked interest in relocating our kinhouse to Bowing, Bree-land, where the Coursehood crafting and gameplay resources neighborhood is found. The proposed relocation site would be at 5 Long Street.

Benefits associated with relocation of the kinhouse include:

• Using the kinhouse port skill to access both the kinhouse and its kinchest, as well as the Coursehood neighborhood.
  • Proximity of 5 Long Street to 1. the neighborhood gate for easier departure, 2. the main cluster of Coursehood houses, and 3. the nearby vault and vending services in the village square.
  • A sunny, well-laid out and compact yard ideal for hosting kin events and parties.
  • A convenient low-level easy jump to Bree-land from other regions for characters who have not yet got the Return to Bree skill.

Disadvantages include:

• The loss of a low-level easy jump to Ered Luin via the kinhouse port in Thorin's Hall (which can be ameliorated by gaining Kindred with Thorin's Hall and obtaining their travel skill, which is much closer to the Great Hall than a kinhouse port jump).
  • Replacing bound decorative items (trophies, mostly... other bound items can be replaced).

This was discussed to some extent in the Coursera channel last night. The overall perspective is that making the move would benefit our members by providing better access to the resources in the Coursehood. 

Personally, I am sentimental, and I do not like change!  I would miss seeing the soft pink light of the TH yard, and I cherish the memories of my early days in the kin. However, I do think that having the kinhouse at 5 Long Street would make for sharper and more colourful screenshots. I also think that it really would make resource management much more easier for those of us involved with the Coursehood houses. Those houses do contain goodies that help crafters, RPers (costumes and knickknacks), and questers/raiders (we recently opened what will be a high-end weapons armoury, at Courserage's up on Chestnut Road), not to forget the Moors house nearby and the Reputation items house which would be across the street from the proposed site for our new kinhouse.

I would like to hear from all interested parties, what your views on this matter are, and I plan to consult all active officers as well, before a decision is made (hopefully within a week). Please feel free to respond to this post, email me or any of the officers, use in-game mail, or chat about this in-game, via IMs or the Coursera channel!  I've created a 5-day poll here, too.

Forth Courserrim!

Bredhe :)

Here are some screenshots of our current kin house at 5 Roaring Road, Trugorth, followed by screenshots of the proposed kin house at 5 Long Street, Bowing:

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Last edited by Bredhe on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:00 am; edited 6 times in total
Briallan
Officer

The main reason that we decided on the dwarf area housing when we bought our kinhouse was that it was relatively convenient both to crafting and to the Ferrin's Court stable location (here is a thread where we discussed the issue). However, at the time, we did not of course have a Coursehood, which changes the convenience factor in favor of Bowing. I agree that, all things considered, Bowing in the Bree Homesteads is probably more convenient now that we have the coursehood there.

I would say that the main factor in favor keeping the kinhouse where it is is the fact we have maxed out the kinchest there at 150 slots. If we bought a new kinhouse, I think we would start with 30 slots, and we would have to pay quite a bit of gold to expand it to 90 slots. That in itself isn't so bad, but the last four upgrades (each upgrade being 15 slots) to bring the kinchest storage to 150 slots cost 100 mithril coins for each upgrade, which means it would cost a total of 400 mithril coins to go from 90 to 150 slots. 100 Mithril coins costs something like 850 Turbine Points at the Store, so this is a hefty price indeed! In our case, the 400 Mithril coins required to upgrade from 90 to 150 slots came as a generous donation from our friend Totes, by the way.

Now! Despite all that, I also think that kinhouse storage isn't as important as it used to be -- before we had the Coursehood, kinhouse storage was the only storage we had that all kin members could access. We have a lot more combined storage now in the various Coursehood houses than we do in the kinhouse storage, so if kinhouse storage dropped down to 90 slots it might not be such a big deal, especially if we continue to add houses to the Coursehood. And so we might not bother upgrading kinhouse storage to 150 slots.

One interesting idea is that we could, technically, keep the original kinhouse at the same time we moved the kinhouse to Bowing .. we could do by (1) forming a new kinship, (2) move all current kin members to the new kinship, (3) after 90 days, buy a kinhouse for the new kinship in Bowing. So the old house would still belong to the Courserrim kinship, and the Courserrim kinship membership might consist mostly of people who don't log on anymore :) If you think that this idea is totally weird, I would point that our sister Coursera kinship on Laurelin changed their name after a couple years (from "Coursera" to "Course of the Ring"), so .. well its somewhat practical I guess :). I am not actually recommending that we do this, since I sort of like our current kinship name, but just pointing it out as a possibility :)

Bredhe
Leader

re: factors :)

It may be that our kinchest would remain the same size, despite a relocation. We can find out.

Waiting 90 days for a new kinhouse does not sound like fun! *grins*  Please, nobody else endorse such an idea.... I love the name of our current kin... I cant imagine anything better than this *shout out to our original leader(s) and members for their ingenuity!*

Bredhe
Leader

re: storage chest info

From the Wiki: The upgrades for personal houses are specific to account and server. Once purchased, they remain available should the owner buy another house.

Now, if this applies to kinship storage chests.... I'm trying to find confirmation!

Daffodilia

re: Re: storage chest info

Bredhe wrote:

From the Wiki: The upgrades for personal houses are specific to account and server. Once purchased, they remain available should the owner buy another house.

Now, if this applies to kinship storage chests.... I'm trying to find confirmation!

I can't imagine why a kinhouse would be any different than a personal.  The only thing I could think of would be if the kin name changed, maybe that would bork the back end records somehow. 

You keep mentioning the kin house storage has the "max" of 150.  I can say (I even double checked before posting this) that the Bounders kinhouse has 180.  It might be that's the max before a kin has to pay MC instead of in game coin, I don't know.  I'm still gathering funds for the 80G expansion at one of my alt RP kinhouse. (wooo I wish I had done that one long ago before the change)

As much as I see the logic in what Autumn suggested in channel (move the Coursehood to Thorin's Homestead) because it is the closest a homestead gets to any crafting hubs (and two guilds in TH as well), I also know how difficult and expensive that can be, although now the hassle is only on redecorating time since the stuff in the chests transfers over exactly.  Unless, of course, non coursehood folks move into the houses in the middle of the move screwing up any plans we try to make--another reason why it's better to move just the kinhouse.  I don't recall how many houses overall in Bowing are Coursehood off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure we're over 50% now.

So the next best thing is move the kinhouse.  Someday Turbine might even eliminate the CD on the house maps or add a swift stable from South Gate to Homesteads.  Who knows?

Another possible if you want to hold onto the old address if only for the history is make a kin with one folk with whatever name and wait the 3 months before you abandon with Courserrim so you don't have to worry about someone taking the addy.  (It is the most popular Dwarf kin addy.) 

Please make sure that Briallan can sign sit or be reached easily out of game if someone else doesn't mind sign sitting til it goes back up for sale (the sign shows up on the property sometimes a few minutes before it shows up at the Broker). The sign never appears within the first hour of abandonment, but it can (no joke) take up to 24 hours to show.  (Even double boxing, when you start hitting the 12th hour and no sign, *shivers*  Let's just hope that doesn't happen.)  The average is 3-6.

Sorry if I rambled, not enough sleep this week.

GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

re: Re: storage chest info

Daffodilia wrote:

You keep mentioning the kin house storage has the "max" of 150.  I can say (I even double checked before posting this) that the Bounders kinhouse has 180.

Well I was wrong, it's 180 after all. :) I wasn't in the game when I wrote it, and I couldn't find the details about storage upgrades online, so what I said was from memory. My main points were that it's very expensive to do the last series of kin chest upgrades, and that they can only be done with Mithril coin, not gold. If it turns out that we get to keep the upgrades we've already made, then it doesn't matter either way :)

Assuming that we get to keep the kinchest upgrades we've made, I guess, all in all, I'd be in favor of moving the kin house to Bowing, so we have all our kin storage in the same place.

Although, yes, the Bree homesteads "seem" far from anything, it's only far if you can't get an instant port there. If the kinhouse is there, you do have the instant port. Actually, ALL the homestead areas are sort of inconvenient to get to, in my opinion, so I don't personally see the relative convenience of the dwarf areas as that big a deal .. when I want to go to Thorin's Gate, I usually go by either swift travel or a port to Thorin's Hall, I don't port to the kinhouse and then ride the rest of the way.

I was also playing when the original house discussion was going on and that TH house was chosen. Some of the reasons were relating to decor, it just looks cool....as my hunter, I don't have any preference travel wise. The other toons/personalities do. :) Close to TH was one big reason, although now that we have the coursehood, and my house is also in that area, I guess I can be flexible. It's not like I hang out at the kinhouse like I would a bar. :)

Pan

Ashigaru Trecalia

Cheerp wrote:

PS: Why in Middle-Earth would someone want to live somewhere else than the Shire?

Because they recognize the incomparable beauty of Falathlorn architecture, of course.

GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Bredhe
Leader

re: A Trecalia Museum?

Perhaps we could enact a museum honouring the Trecalia and their many many accomplishments?

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: