Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Briallan
Officer

re: Spring Racing Carnival music events

I am starting a new thread to discuss our participation as a band in the Spring Racing Carnival -- there is a separate thread ( here ) that discusses our performance as a comedy troupe (this only involves Rho, Kro and I at present).

So far we have committed to doing the comedy skits (630pm - 730pm), plus the Bree Cup (830pm - 900pm), plus the main Concert at the end of the day (900PM -  whenever). Rho is in charge of the comedy skits planning, and I am willing to take charge of the planning for the Bree Cup and main Concert. I am not planning on volunteering for additional events right now unless someone really thinks we should do another event, and has the time to take charge of organizing it.

HERE is the link to the announcement of the Spring Racing Carnival event, including which bands are playing and when.

Briallan
Officer

Here is an update from Kiralynn about the Spring Racing Carnival --  I highlighted a section below that might be of interest to some of our bi-lingual kinmates .. if interested, you can contact kiralynn at: kiralynn@roll3d6.com

--

The Spring Racing Carnival schedule and information has been posted in the LOTRO forums!

Here's the link:  https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?547052-Landroval-Spring-Racing-Carnival-Sat-May-17-10am-10pm-EDT-server

If you wish to add an advertisement, screenshots, rules, race routes, or other information for your event(s), please feel free to reply to that post.

I will do my best to promote the SRC on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites as we draw closer to the event.  I'm quite new to this, so any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated.

If you have a LOTRO blog, or know somebody who does, please tell them about our event.  Hopefully other LOTRO fans can help with promotion, as well.

Finally, I am hoping to find individuals willing to translate our advertisement and FAQ into German and French.  I'm willing to reimburse someone for their time with Turbine Points.  Please email me if you have the time and ability to help with this project.  Thank you!

I look forward to seeing you all at this equestrian extravaganza!

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Ehn Farad

Awesome! Had we decided on a theme for the music? I'd like to start pulling some ideas together because I'd love to contribute a few songs this time.

Also, just a clarification, the segment with the comedy act starts at 5:30, not 6:30. It was bumped up by a half hour. So I think our first comedy act will be at 6:00 if I'm not mistaken.

Hengstacer Stampede Rodeo
5:30pm-7:30pm
Hengstacer Farm
Host: Kiralynn Enjoy the thrill of war-steed barrel racing. Laugh with The Sore Thumbs, the rodeo clown comedians. Participate in Name-that-Steed and Name-that-Song contests. Register with Kiralynn starting at 5:00pm – specify which event(s) you wish to participate in. Prizes are 15 gold + 1,000 Turbine Points for first place, 10 gold + 500 TP for second place, and 5 gold + 500 TP for third place in each event.

Band: Just Abby’s

Briallan
Officer

Ah, yes, I was just discussing this with Kiralynn actually ... the musical theme for the event is 'equestrian, western and country' -- for the concert itself, we were talking about going with "Young Country" -- modern country songs that tend to have a strong rock influence (as opposed to the older Grand Old Opry style music) and have a good beat that makes them easily dance-able. Though a few old country standards would not be out of place (think Willie Nelson for example).

For the Bree Cup here is Kiralynn's description of the event, with musical cues:

Here's how the Bree Cup will (hopefully) go.  I'll have all the riders line up "backstage", then have a quick parade of them as we introduce them by name.  This will help people see who they want to bet on.  Next, I'll call them out in a row to the start line.  I'll spend some time walking the line to make sure they're all in the proper position.  During all of this, it's a great time to play some sort of pre-race fanfare, with a lot of build-up.  I'll stand out in front of the riders and face them.  That's the queue that the race is about to begin.  You'll see me /charge and then they're off.  The races usually last 3 minutes.

Once everyone has crossed the finish line, there is about a 10 minute wait while all the checkpoint judges look at screenshots and compare notes.  We could use some low-key music during this, as it's the most boring part of the whole affair.  After that, we let everyone know we're ready to announce the winners.  We line up the racers and have the winners come forward as they're announced.  This is the perfect time for major, full-volume fanfare.

We may do a pace lap before any of this, but I'll know more once we finalize the race route.

At the Awards Ceremony after the Bree Cup, we are planning on playing 'Parade of the Charioteers' from Ben Hur --assuming I get this done in time, as there is currently no midi of this available that we can find .... :) If anyone has a midi of this piece, please let me know!

Ehn Farad

I have a vast collection of country, alt country, folk noir, bluegrass, etc. I will dig around and find some gems to try out.

Ice Weasel

I've got a lyric version of "She's in Love with the Boy" by Trisha Yearwood, that I've played in public once (at the Just Abbys Welcome to Spring a few weeks back). Went over well... I have a multi-part version of the ABC.

There's a lot of "New Country" that is sort of like Rockabilly, going back to the fusion between Rock, R&B, Country, and even swing. Great stuff, a lot of it.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Briallan
Officer

Sure that's all fair game; like the Solve-A-Mystery event, the goal is a good music that people like to dance to -- as Krohkur likes to say, danceable doesn't necessarily mean fast, so we want a variation in tempos, but generally we should be skewing toward stuff with a good beat.

Ehn Farad

Here's a song I'm working on to the tune of Folsom Prison. I'll try to get the ABC ready for the next Racing Carnival practice.

On the Sidelines   

I see those horses running
They're rolling round the bend
And I ain't been a racin'since
I don't know when
I'm stuck here on the sidelines
The race keeps rolling by
Those jockeys keep on running
Down to the finish line

When I was just a baby
My momma told me, child
Always be a good boy
Don't go out running wild
But I stole a horse in Bree-land
Just to see if he was fast
When I hear those hooves a'poundin'
I know I'll always be last

I bet there's jockeys standing
With a gold cup in their hand
They're probably getting praises
And slaps upon the back
Well, I tried to be a winner
I know I just can't place
And those jockeys keep a movin'
I'll never match their pace

Well if they brought me to the racetrack
If the fastest mare was mine
I'd bet I'd move it on a little faster down the line
Far from these here sidelines
That's where I want to stay
And I'd let the swiftest hoofbeat
Blow the others away

Ice Weasel

Love it! 

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Briallan
Officer

yeah that's cool .. may even want to fit it into the racing program before the concert

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

Hi Malvie! Well, we are having one band meetup/practice this weekend (see THIS POST ), but at 9PM EDT it will probably be very late for you .. BUT we will also have 1 or 2 additional practices after that ... now that I know you are planning on attending the earlier parts of the Racing Carnival, I will try to schedule at least the final practice at a time that's more convenient for you.

Haha, sorry about the translation issues .. though I am curious what words or phrases didn't translate well :)

Very glad you could help out with some other events! I will try to get up early enough to see you race!

Ehn Farad

Thanks for translating, Malv!! I'm curious too, about what didn't translate well. :)

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

GDPR#3463094
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: