Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Ice Weasel

re: Weatherstock

I know we've got a huge weekend ahead, but we need to think about Weatherstock in our spare moments. 

OFFICIAL LOTRO FORUM THREAD

The important points (so far) are:

• The concert will be Saturday, June 14, 2014 at Weathertop (Amon Sul) in the Lone Lands! (Landroval Server)
  • 10 bands will play and compete! 
  • Band Registration begins Monday, May 19th! 

More info will be coming, but the Registration is smack on Monday.  I don't know any details, like: Do we want to play the "concert series" or the "competition"? I know there ARE those things, but that's about the end of it for my brain so far.  I'll try to ask someone for more info at Ales and Tales tonight (that's a LMB event, too).

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Briallan
Officer

OMG I was hoping that Weatherstock would be a bit later ... oh well .. yes please find out more info .. and yes we should register for something anyway.

After June 14 I'm going to go crawl into a hole and hide for a long time.

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

Another thing is that it would really be helpful to get more info about .. and to think about .. what we might do at Weatherstock before we just throw a bunch of stuff together and pick the best.

For example .. I keep hearing that Weatherstock tends to be laggy due to the 100s of people attending .. does that mean we would be better off with songs that are fairly simple musically? For example... not a lot of guitar chords one coming right after another. And by simple I don't mean boring, but simple in the sense of not pushing the music system to the limit so that the song falls off the cliff (har-har .. fall off the cliff .. get it? Its Weatherstock .. ok I'll shut up)

Also, I am guessing that we'd want to do stuff that is sort of unique, original and not just one more version of a song people have heard to death already -- "Star of the County Down" and "Let if Go" for example.

Last edited by Briallan on Tue May 13, 2014 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ehn Farad

Yeah, that's coming up faster than I thought! Any thoughts on what we'll be registering for?

I agree, Bri - simplicity and uniqueness is the best bet. I attend every year and while lag doesn't seem to affect the music too much, I think there is potential for really dense tracks to get muddled. What would be really amazing is to pick a theme, something no one else is likely to do, and just do an amazing amazing performance of it. Something really special. Like Philip Glass or something.

Ashigaru Trecalia

I've been there once as an attendee...I had to leave pretty early in because of the raw lag (and that was with my graphics settings to their absolute minimum). That's another reason to go for simplicity...if someone lags out of performing, then you don't want to have to scramble at the last moment to reorg everything and drop parts. (To be clear, I'll try again to be there - maybe you have to arrive early to try and avoid the barrage, although that may not always work, as anyone who's been bombarded by magically appering freeps will tell you.)

I do know that part of the support LMB gets from Turbine is some "resource bumping" for the area. Not sure when they started doing that, but it may have been last year for the first time. A load-balancing thing with physical hardware.

I've also heard the "arrive early to let the lag settle" thing. Plus, the etiquette of "no hats, no cloaks, no horses" thing is more important. Most people also unequip weapons.

Part of what makes live performance interesting and fun is when something goes awry. All part of the experience. If someone does crash or lag out, you try to pick up the pieces and carry on. No one thinks poorly of anyone if that happens.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Briallan
Officer

Band Members: Please apply to the Weatherstock community site to get more information about Weatherstock. The application link is in the upper left corner of this website. You should apply as members of "The Remediators" in the spot of the application forms that asks which band you are a member of.

I have applied for the main Weatherstock event (which features 10 bands), and also said that we could also play a "Weatherstock Concert Series" concert in the week leading up to Weatherstock, as well as attend the Mini-stock orientation and social event.

Bands for the main Weatherstock event are selected by lottery. I believe that each band that applies gets one 'ticket' in the lottery, and that each LMB officer (not sure how many of these there are) can put their thumb on the scale -- so to speak :) -- by adding a 'ticket' for the band of their choice -- so some bands will have more chances to win the lottery than others.

I don't believe that it would be any particular hardship to play a "concert series" concert in addition to the main Weatherstock event .. for example, we have many approved but unperformed songs we could use (for instance, the Latin songs Kro and I worked on for the Spring Celebration concert that got cancelled, just as an example) as well as material we could recycle from previous concerts.

Ehn Farad

I agree, shouldn't be a hardship at all, and with all the excitement of Weatherstock it would be a lot of fun!

Raventrick

Depending on what time we're playing I may or may not be there. Have a wedding shower in the afternoon to go to and play tickets that night!

Perizota
Officer

The lag is not nearly as bad since the GMs started enforcing the "No forced emotes" rule by bouncing people to Bree. :)

Officer

Byrcha of LMB has asked us what time/date we prefer for Concert Series (assuming we get selected for that). What would work for y'all? I am sort of thinking one of the earlier slots might be better for Malvy's health and sanity :) Relevant part of her mail is below:

We'll be selecting the bands and scheduling the Weatherstock Concert Series shows in the next few days.  Can you let me know which of the following dates/times would work for The Remediators for a WCS show?"

Fri May 30 3-6pm
Fri May 30 6-9pm
Fri May 30 9-Midn
Sat May 31 Noon-3pm
Sat May 31 3-6pm
Sat May 31 6-9pm
Sat May 31 9-Midn
Sun Jun 1 Noon-3pm
Sun Jun 1 3-6pm
Sun Jun 1 6-9pm
Sun Jun 1 9-Midn
Mon-Thu Jun 2-5 3-6pm
Mon-Thu Jun 2-5 6-9pm
Mon-Thu Jun 2-5 9-Midn
Fri Jun 6 3-6pm
Fri Jun 6 6-9pm
Fri Jun 6 9-Midn
Sat Jun 7 Noon-3pm
Sat Jun 7 3-6pm
Sat Jun 7 6-9pm
Sat Jun 7 9-Midn
Sun Jun 8 Noon-3pm
Sun Jun 8 3-6pm
Sun Jun 8 6-9pm
Sun Jun 8 9-Midn
Mon-Thu Jun 9-12 3-6pm
Mon-Thu Jun 9-12 6-9pm
Mon-Thu Jun 9-12 9-Midn
Preferred Location?

Raventrick

June 1st through 5th works for me.

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

More info on times and set lengths from Byrcha:

"The 3-hour WCS slots are just time-windows for trying to narrow down who can play when.  If selected for the competition, your WCS slot would likely be 1-hour long; if not selected, the slot will be 30-60 minutes (depending on who can play when, etc.).  We'll come up with a schedule this week and then confirm it with each of the bands.

The competition slots at the summit on June 14th are each 15-minutes in length (which includes any/all encores/banter/etc.).  The competition portion of the show will likely run from 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm /servertime, though the overall schedule is still subject to change."

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: