Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Briallan
Officer

re: Weatherstock

Getting home late this afternoon.. will be about 15-20 minutes late for tonite's meetup .. sorry for inconcvenience

EDIT: here is link to songs ... there is a spreadsheet but I didn't get a chance to fill in parts today, so we will have to wing it

Briallan
Officer

OK! We tested a lot of songs tonight and over multiple previous sessions, and here is the list of songs that have passed (assuming my notes are correct). So, as in the case of the recent SRC, we now have enough to choose from so that we can afford to be picky. If you wish to express preferences as to what should make the cut, you can do so on this thread or by email or PM to me. I will be making the decision as to what the final set is tomorrow so that I can get the folder all set up sometime Saturday night or early Sunday morning, since our concert is Sunday evening (8PM server time).

And, yes, I know that we ended up with two versions of Barcelona.... :)

Remember that the above list of songs is not the final set! We need to pare it down to about an hour of music (I don't know yet if we will be allowed to run over, even if we want to... I asked Lhinn and hopefully she will get back to me soon).

Tomorrow (Saturday) at 130 PM we have only two songs to re-test. The are HERE  I didn't include a spreadsheet since there are only two songs and we can figure it out when we get there.

Briallan
Officer

Here is the list of people who I believe (from reading the above thread) are available to play Sunday, June 1 at our 8PM concert: Ashigaru and Rahmat, Siltharan, Raventrick, Rhovanael and her alts, Malvy, and Krohkur  (as well as me and my alts).

If I have this wrong, please let me know ASAP, since I will be making up the parts assignment late tomorrow.

Ehn Farad

I've gone over them all and I noticed there are a few duplicates:

• black_orpheus_8 is the same song as Manha-De-Carnival. I prefer the stripped down version (Manha-De-Carnival), but they're both good.
  • 9-Grusin_Catwalk is the same as catwalk7. I prefer the 9-part version.
  • Either one of the Barcelonas is fine with me, I like them both.

In terms of the set, here are my preferences:

Favourites

• Song for Bilbao
  • 9-Grusin_Catwalk
  • Ai se eu te pego
  • Bambo
  • Bara Bara Bere Bere
  • Barcelona
  • Blame it on the Bossanova
  • Cumana
  • Hot Hot Hot
  • Livin' la Vida Loca
  • Manha De Carnival
  • Maria
  • Mi Chico Latino
  • Sway
  • Sweat
  • Tico Tico
  • Estrella

Neutral

• Guantanamera
  • Oye Como Va
  • She Bangs

Ones I'd Cut

• Hot Salsa
  • Falling in Love with you
  • La Bomba
  • Lambada
  • Quando

Although I trust your good judgement in putting together the set - whatever works for you.

Briallan
Officer

OK ... one small change ...I added two versions of Don't Cry for Me Argentina to today's test folder, since I just want to compare the openings (one is Maestro, and one is Brute) ... some people really liked this song, but there were some rhythm hiccups noticed at the start, and I am hoping the Brute version will fix that.

So there are a total of 4 songs in test folder for today .. I am hoping we can wrap this session up in 1/2 hour. Thanks everyone for all your effort in coming up with a great set of songs to choose from for our first Weatherstock show!

After tomorrow, we have two weeks till the competition, but we should not have many songs to test between now and then (since our set will only 3 or 4 pieces long), and I am thinking we only need one main test session (with a possible followup for retest) to prepare for the competition.

Ehn Farad

I've emailed Lhinn with the stage layout - you guys should have gotten a copy of that as well. Here's the layout:

And here are views, front and back

It's a nice roomy, festive space so there's lots of room for a big crowd if one arrives.

Ice Weasel

Works for me.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Ehn Farad

Lhinn replied - here's what she had to say:

Thank you for sending the shots! This looks just lovely. I'll be sure to direct folks in the proper direction to stand, as they arrive! We are going to have a wonderful concert, woo! Did you all see your poster ad that Floradine created? If not, I've sent it along. We'll be tweeting it out and posting it everywhere!

Please let me know if you need anything, or if anything else comes up! 

Briallan
Officer

Yes the spot and layout of performers generally seems fine ... only thing I am wondering: the picnic table is far enough away from us so it won't interfere with people who want to dance? Just a little hard to tell without actually being there...

Ehn Farad

Yeah, there's quite a bit of room there. Plus there's room behind us if we want to back up a bit, but I don't think it will be necessary to.

Briallan
Officer

Here is list of songs and part assignments for tomorrow.

Sorry if I cut a song you liked -- everything was high quality, but sometimes the decision was based on having to provide a mix of tempos and styles for a varied and well-paced show.

The part assignments assume that the following musicians will be present and can play (see the spreadsheet for which instruments I am expecting each musician to have):

Raventrick, Siltharan, Ashigaru, Rhovanael, Jebford, Krohur, Malvy, Briallan, Brytford, Siggarek, Ringolion.

Rahmat, Andilras and Radgallac are expected to be in attendance, but are in reserve to fill in any holes that might arise for whatever reason :)

Assignments:

• Krohkur is in charge of raiding up, and announcements during the show
  • Lady Ashigaru is in charge of making sure everyone is synced (if someone else has free time, it would helpful if someone could double check this)
  • Malvy is in charge of making sure people change to the correct instrument when they need to
  • Briallan is in charge of hitting the play button -- heheh ... gave myself the easy job :)

Preparations for everyone:

• make sure you set your mood to happy (/mood_happy) .. we know you have stage fright, but don't let the audience know! :)
  • please arrive at the Staddle Picnic Area (30.9S, 49.7W) by 7:30PM server time (EDT), since the show starts at 8:00PM .. we will assemble behind the stone wall as a sort of backstage area; Staddle Picnic area is on the hill just outside the Staddle gate of Bree.
  • if you don't have your costume yet, please see Rhovanael ... although the costume includes a cape, please disable it, as there is likely to be a lot of audience activity, and it will contribute to lag
  • please see the standing chart earlier in this thread for where you are supposed to stand
  • if you have alts (Rho, Ashi and me), please allow enough time to get them as well as yourself to the show on time

And last .. since I always forget this .. if any higher-class minstrels are not on cool down, this would be a good time to mentor Raventrick for some additional instruments!

See you tomorrow for our first ever Weatherstock event!!!

Last edited by Briallan on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total

Briallan
Officer

Ah .. more thing.. since we play at 8PM, and the next concert in the WCS series is at 10PM, we may play encores if we wish. The main show (songs number 1-15) are designed to last about an hour, and we will play all those songs no matter what. Songs 90 and above are potential encore numbers, so we may or may not play these, and we may play some but not all of them.. depending on the audience reaction, so we need to see watch and listen to what's happening as we near the end of our main show.

Ashigaru Trecalia

If you do not have it already, please go to http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ and retrieve Version 1.2.6.  Briallan or myself will give you the access data for KWL's mumble server.  I'll be using it to call out missing parts.  You don't need to be able to say anything as long as you can hear.

Thanks everyone for putting on a great show tonight! We started a bit late, but the show went great once we got going and the audience was very appreciative of our efforts J.

We have exactly two weeks until our appearance on Weathertop (no rest for the wicked, eh?) What I am envisioning is that next meetup will be our main test session for that appearance (though we might have a follow up later depending on how the first one goes).

Weatherstock competition will be much different from our other concerts. We only have 15 minutes on the summit total, from when the previous band ends until we end, and we’ve been told that this is enforced very tightly. Which means we might have 12 minutes of music … even if we are really disciplined about being ready to go immediately when it’s our turn.

So possibly what we might do is new stuff, possibly stuff from our previous concerts that have gone over well with the audience, possibly a combination of the two.  If winning the competition is our goal, my … well… ‘guess’ is that it would have to be unique (compared to what other bands are doing during the show) AND something that would strike a chord with the LOTRO audience in general… while most concert audiences on Landroval seem to be  composed of the ‘usual suspects’ who are sort of music buffs,  Weatherstock is (as I understand it) attended by a much bigger audience than we are used to, maybe including many LOTRO players who might not regularly attend concerts, and have.. well not really sure how to describe this, but maybe more popular tastes than the usual concert goers we see???  But, again, as I have never been there myself, I am guessing.

Nonetheless my ignorance is not stopping me from working on a plan for a set, which we can discuss, test and critique next meetup J ... and if people have other ideas to present, we will do that as well  .. I am also up for chatting with people during this next week on what ideas I and they are working on -- I’d like this to be a good experience for everyone, so we should all be happy with what we ultimately present  J

I’m trying to think of someplace else I can put a smiley face in my post .. well maybe that’s enuf .. well maybe not J.

Ehn Farad

I had a great time! Everyone did a fantastic job. Here are some pics from the show:

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: