Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Albertine_Courserrim

re: Online Games MOOC: New cohort starts July 7th

I just saw on Twitter that Prof Clayton is aiming to begin the next iteration of " Online Games: Literature, New Media, and Narrative" on Coursera around July 7th.

Do we want to start planning now for welcoming the newcomers into the game (and the kin?) or wait til nearer the time or even just wait and see?

Either way, here's a heads up for everyone. (Prof confirms approx date here: https://twitter.com/Cheeryble2)

Briallan
Officer

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Albertine! I think that, for now, we should just use this thread to share information about such issues as the timing of the course, when the forums will open, etc.

I don't think there is a huge amount of work to do at this point. Some things we should be doing as the course nears are the following:

1. Figure out what the course syllabus and assignments are, so that we can assist people who are taking the course on Landroval. I imagine that the assignments will not change much, and if so we don't need much preparation to assist people.

2. Post in the course forums to welcome people, invite them to play with us on Landroval, and let them know that we are here to assist them in meeting the course requirements and to offer them kinship invitations.

3. Get the word out to some of our kin members who have expressed an interest in helping newcomers (as many of our kin members have done so, but not all of them follow activity on the website regularly).

4. Think about how this affects our recruiting plans in general. I think that the expected influx of newcomers into the kin would be a good opportunity to recruit other players with other new characters on Landroval -- I mean, if you are a new player, or even an experienced player with a new character, it's helpful to be in a group that has other characters at your level so you have people to adventure with. We have not done a lot of active recruiting for various reasons (which I will talk more about in a later post), so this is a good opportunity to step up our efforts in that respect.

Anyway, I think it's very exciting that the course is starting again! I'm also glad it's after the end of June since I will be pretty busy with RL and other stuff until then :)

Siltharan
Officer

Awesome news! I hope to hop in again once things start up. I'll be watching the forums some more as we get closer, and will add my input in the other thread (found HERE) in a bit. Kind of glad I have some lower level toons now to get myself going again when the new Courserrim arrive. :)

Bredhe
Leader

re: Coursera!

I will definitely take the course. I registered for alerts from Coursera when I first joined the kin, and the minute I get the alert that the course has been opened for enrollment, I'll get in line. Yippee!

I also will spread the word to other players I've met in-game, in case they want to take the class too. The more players who know about this, especially how our kin aims  to support those taking the course,  the more our network will grow (read Bri's other post re. the future of our kin).  Maybe an experienced player joins us on an alt, or maybe we get to share events, or maybe we will just have more people to quest with or while away the late hours discussing lore in some out of the way spot in Middle Earth (which I've been known to do upon occasion!)

The more, the merrier!

Bredhe

PS I've also been talking up the game IRL!  That's one way to recruit, as well!

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Perizota
Officer

I was looking at the old forums for the course, and there was someone from Landroval waiting to take the course in July. I replied with a few names and the link for the chat channel setup instructions. Hopefully they will find us!

I also posted a question on how to apply to be a mentor for the new class. Hopefully, we'll get a reply.

Cheers!

Officer

Ah! that's interesting ... I didn't realize that the forums for the original course were still accessible and that you could write to them! I remember hearing during the course that they would be closed at some point, but I guess that information wasn't correct. Here is the link in case anyone is interested ... not sure what they will do about the original course forums when the new course starts .. like wipe them, or just continue on the old content? it would be confusing to have posts about 'week 3' from the original course, while the next version is in session, especially if the content changes at all.

Trower

I wonder if we will be able to post in the Coursera forums if we are not signed up for the course. I may resign for it just to be able to recruit from there.

I think we should outline some rules as to the amount of aid these new players get if they join us. I remember being pretty impressed, interacting with the higher level folks when I arrived. Certainly organizing runs through the Barrows and Weathertop would be needed. I also would caution against over-helping. I think that really robs folks from experiences they would have in they were to accomplish things on their own. I think I'm really talking about providing gold or tweaked gear, which I think is totally uneccessary.

Briallan
Officer

I think the point about over-helping is very tricky ... I agree with Trower that many people would prefer to get things done by their own efforts (for me, getting my first 500 silver to get a horse was something I appreciated a lot more since I did it myself.. well at least my first character did, and my alts basically got helped by my main). However, I have heard other people say how nice it was that someone gave them a gold or two to that they could experience things earlier in the game without having to grind out the cash.

Also, I still like having my kinmates help me out with crafted equipment that I can't make myself, so I personally go both ways on this issue.

And, the issue is not just about gold and crafted equipment, but also things like help on quests (either by fellowing with them or giving them 'spoilers' like where to find something).

I don't know how everyone else thinks, but when I play the game, I often do tasks on my own for that sense of satisfaction, but at other times I do ask for help (for example, with a quest I can't do on my own, or getting frustrated with the game mechanics since I'm at A and I want to get to B and there is no obvious way to get from one to the other) and I am very happy to get whatever assistance people can offer.

One thing we *might* do is to just let people know that we can help them out if they want the help, but not force it on people who would rather do it themselves. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this, since I envision that a big part of July/August will be us 'helping' the new people in some sense, so we should really get the balance right so that it's a good experience for them.

They were archived. I was surprised there were new posts. 

Trower

I fully endorse helping newcomers, ideally crafting items and putting them up for grabs in the kin chest. This will further create some synergy with the kin house. If we want to nurture players to become engrossed with the game and become long-term players, I think we need to create an environment that let's them become involved and achieve for themselves. The 500 silver  for a horse example Bri gave is a perfect scenario, I too enjoyed that accomplishment. Alt's are a different story, part of the continuance of this game is having the ability to twink out alts with all sorts of cool things. That will come naturally.

We also need to recognize that there will be varied types of players that come with the new batch of recruits. The hardcore levelers and the more casual. We need to have support at as many levels as we can in order to keep the sense of community ( and thus longevity) that came when we started. Part of being an effective kin is to have things to do across many level ranges.

Briallan
Officer

The new course has been officially announced! It will be starting July 14th. HERE is the link if haven't taken it and want to sign up.

I will be watching for the forums to open since quite possibly some people will start playing ahead of the time the course starts (I know I did).

Siltharan
Officer

Boom! Registered for the course (again ;) ). Can't wait for the forums to open... I'd be curious as to whether Prof. Clayton will have the focus on two or three servers like he discussed a while ago, or if it will be a free-for-all once again. (EDIT: See below this post for the e-mail from the course that explains this thought)

I do think it would be good if we planned an initial post for the Courserrim kin in whichever applicable forum there might be. Not too much or too early to overwhelm folks as not everyone understands kinships right away (was that week 1 or 2 where we had the first kin activities/assignments?), but at least something to get our name out there.

Might be nice to get Prof. Clayton's plans as well... We had offered mentorship for the new coursetakers at the end of the last session.

-------------------

If you are already playing LOTRO, feel free to continue with your present account, but the following servers are recommended for those who are just starting or who want to create a new character to play along with their classmates.  There are Coursera kinships on each of the servers listed below, which will have special events scheduled for the course:

·        Gladden (kinship: Vicarious Universe)

·        Landroval (role-playing server—kinship: Courserrim)

·        Laurelin (European role-playing server— kinship: Coursera)

·        Meneldor (kinship: Eagles of Thorondor)

Briallan
Officer

Eh ... Laurelin's considered a European Server???

Well, anyway, yes I agree with Silth that we should plan an initial post .. I will work on some ideas for that; we should run it by the officers for content and timing, and one of us will post it (I registered for the course again too). If anyone has some particular suggestions for content, or would like to work on the initial draft, please reply on this thread, PM me or whatever.

Aldynwe

I'm super excited about this. Considering how much help I needed to get through the assignments for the class, I'm really psyched to get to help out this time. I do have a question, though. Do I have to sign up for the class again just to help? I don't really have the time to commit to the entire class this summer...

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: