Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Briallan
Officer

re: Weatherstock Final Preparations

At this point, our plan for the Weatherstock competition is all agreed on, so I am starting a new thread to convey to everyone what we need to do at this point. I will update this first post in the thread with any updates or changes, so always look this first post for the latest information.

Weatherstock competition is this Saturday, June 14. We are scheduled to perform at 4:15 PM server time (EDT), but all musicians should be there several hours earlier to try to avoid the effects of lag.

Here is a list of musicians who are expected to be there for the competition: Malvy, Krohkur, Rhovanael, Jebford, Jebbob, Ashigaru, Rahmat, Briallan, Ringolion, Andilras. I can bring in some other alts if we have an emergency, but am hoping not to have to do so.

Here is a link to the songs and parts assignments. We are playing up to four songs during the competition, and we will play one encore if we win a prize. I have several 'encore' numbers in the set, and we will just choose one to play depending on conditions, and of course depending if we win a prize. Some of the 'encores' only require 5 or 6 people to play them, so .. if run into some really bad technical issues and lose some musicians, we might swap one of these pieces into the main set. It would be great if someone could check the parts assignment spreadsheet to make sure I didn't make a boo-boo.

I am scheduling two 'rehearsals' ... for 3PM and 9PM on Friday. There are optional, but we might use this opportunity to (1) do a ready check (make sure we have the songbook synced properly), (2) see how quickly we can move up the rockpile from the holding area and get our first song started, and (3) use this as an opportunity to ferry any musicians and alts to Weathertop if they aren't already there (my alts are still at the kinhouse, since I wanted to retest one of our songs that we couldn't sync properly during Sunday's meetup).

Here is a checklist for what we should do for each player / character before the concert starts:

• please run LOTRO on each machine you expect use for the concert on FRIDAY; there was a code update on Monday, and you will have some downloading to do if you haven't used that machine in a while; also this is an opportunity to find out any other technical issues you have with machine in a more leisurely way than having to attempt a panicked fix the day of the concert
  • set mood for each character to happy (/mood_happy) ... or at least to something appropriate...
  • Make sure your songbook is synced to the correct set (first song should be 01 GonnaGetchaGood7 and the last one is 93 Walk_Don't_Run)
  • Make sure each character has all the instruments they might be required to play (see the spreadsheet)
  • Make sure each character has their first instrument to play equipped (so you don't have to fumble for it when we play our first song)
  • Get you and your alts there several hours early (already mentioned this above)
  • All players must use backstage chat channel (for at least one of their characters)
  • Create a chat tab that has only Raid, Standard and whatever user chat channel you have the backstage channel set to
  • Set your graphics on lowest possible setting for each client you are running
  • Rhovanael: bring costumes just in case Siltharan or Raventrick can join us
  • Malvy: have stopwatch ready
  • Consider setting up latest Mumble client -- while we will continue to use typed chat, Ashi will also be calling out information on KWL's Mumble server about synched parts, and this has saved us some time in the past. Ashi or I can give you the info required to connect if u don't have it already.
  • Turn off involuntary emotes
  • Turn off floaty names

Jobs:

• krohkur: form raid
  • malvy: check the time for the interval from (1) end of our introduction by the stage manager to (2) the time we start playing our first song; check to make sure people have actually changed instruments when they are supposed to; assist ashigaru as needed for instrument sync check
  • ashigaru: make sure all instruments have been synced
  • briallan: press the 'start play' button

OK, I think that's it! I will soon add a chart of where everyone will stand so we know where to head to onstage.

EDIT: Parts assignment spreadsheet updated at 11:30PM server time (EDT) Wednesday, June 11 .. please resync the spreadsheet if you downloaded it before that time. The new spreadsheet is titled Weatherstock 1 Alt.xslx. No changes to the ABC files.

EDIT: added several items to pre-concert checklist items.

EDIT (June 13, 1120AM server time): updated the song folder to include a Plan B subfolder, which we may execute in case of losing one or more band members

EDIT (June 14, 1000AM server time): added raid chat channel to pre-concert checklist

Last edited by Briallan on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:06 am; edited 10 times in total

Ehn Farad

Since there are only a maximum of 8 parts, and many of the songs require only 7 parts, I really recommend picking 8 players and using those only, and keeping any other alts as backup. The fewer alts we are using during the show, the better. I am wary of running 3 clients on my system during Weatherstock. We all should be.

Do we have anyone who is not playing (friend, kinmate, etc) who can run in Ultra High and get us some good pictures?

Also, I'm syncing up the folder now to all my accounts - please let me know if anything within this folder changes so I will know I need to resync. I will be checking things again on Saturday morning, but it's going to be a really busy week for me and the more advance notice I have of any change, the better.

Briallan
Officer

Agree that we can manage easier if we only have one alt apiece. But the reason I scheduled you and I for 2 alts each is so we don't have to change instruments at the start of songs, except for one instrument on the last song. But ... I will look at how many more instrument changes would be required if we designed the spreadsheet for 8 players instead of 10.

Since none of us have played at Weatherstock before, I can't really tell how much more difficult it would be to manage a second alt ...

Will check to see if I can find anyone to take pictures....

Ehn Farad

It's true that avoiding instrument changes is a worthy goal, and could mean the difference between being able to play 3 songs and being able to play 4... Tough call. I guess it would depend on how many changes would ultimately be needed, as you say. I'm willing to try the 3 clients, but perhaps we should have a backup plan in case we find that's too laggy.

Logging in at least an hour before our performance should give us a chance to see how the 3 clients thing is working out well in advance.

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

Okay ... I have thought about Rho's suggestion and I agree that it's a good idea to put only 8 musicians on the spreadsheet, so that no one has to use more than one alt. I have removed the old spreadsheet (Weatherstock 2 Alts.xlsx) from the song folder and replaced it with a new spreadsheet (Weatherstock 1 Alt.xslx).

Here is why:

• agree it is risky to run 3 clients on 1 box... I never run more than 2
  • while we now need to do an instrument change at the start of song #3 as well as song #4, and more people have to change before song #4, that's not really a big deal ... since we are all changing instruments at once before song #4, it shouldn't take that much more time than one person changing... so where we are mostly losing time is the fact that one person (me) now has to change before song #3. Any instrument changes after song #4 aren't important, since we aren't under time pressure.

I think the time we lose is probably not as important as the added stability we get by limiting any one person to one alt. Worst case, if we get slowed down, we drop song #2, or go slightly over in time and risk a penalty. I think since none of us has done this before, we are better off playing as safe as possible.

I will still have all my alts at the summit and hopefully we can bring in one or two of them if disaster strikes :)

If possible, could someone check the new spreadsheet too to make sure I didn't mess something up? thanks!

Ehn Farad

I checked out the spreadsheet - it looks right to me. Ashi might want to go over it as well just as another pair of eyes because my brain isn't at 100% capacity today.

I think this is going to be a much safer route, though. Looking forward to the show.

Siltharan
Officer

I may hop on for pictures (Don't trust my photography abilities within LOTRO too much, however!), but I'll be getting my car late morning and will need the extra time if other things need to be taken care of that day. Plus plans in the evening, so... :( I just wouldn't feel right hopping in without getting to be at the rehearsals.

Briallan
Officer

Well it would be cool to see you up there, Silth! ... to take pics or whatever.

Just to clarify about 'rehearsals' .. these are mostly for a ready check and to test timing, and are in fact optional for most band members (though really hope Malvy can make one with her stopwatch!) ... I mostly want to see how quickly we can do certain things (move from holding area to the rockpile along with one alt, and see how quickly we sync our first song, see how long it typically takes to change instruments between songs). These are things we don't usually care about, but are important since we have requirement of getting all our stuff done in a hard time limit of 15 mintues. So the rehearsal will help us fine-tune our plan.

So, really, I welcome any experienced band members who would wish to play with us on Weathertop regardless of whether they can make it to a 'rehearsal' .. it would also allow us to avoid using one or more alts. So, if Silth, Raven, Hobbs or anyone else thinks they might be able to make it, please sync the songs and spreadsheet and set up your songbook just in case you can make it! Up to you, of course :)

Ashigaru Trecalia

I hope you all saw that there is the SLIGHT chance (depending on what thoughts were going through mother's mind) that I may forced out on Saturday. And the circumstances would be such that I couldn't possibly sidestep it. Just give some thought to your Plan B in such a case.

Real life happens... 

Hopefully it will all work out.  Wouldn't be the same without the lash!

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Ehn Farad

I agree, we need the Mistress to be present to keep us all in line!

Briallan
Officer

Sure, I will come up with a Plan B .. will think about it later tonite, not sure if that means songs with fewer parts, or Rho and I each using an additional alt .. or maybe both just to be on the safe side :)

Ehn Farad

I am willing to do that for sure, give it a try. If all the settings are low it might be OK.

Ashigaru Trecalia

I'll have Emylen on tonight to summon performers (except for Ashi, for obvious reasons, she can ride over herself) to Weathertop (I'm Central time, so near servertime). For the show, remember to turn your graphics settings to their absolute minimum, disable involuntary emotes (as a precaution against griefers), and turn off floaty names.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: