Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Briallan
Officer

re: Festival of the White Lady (band event)

The idea of the concert is that the procession of marchers will proceeds through Bree and stop at various locations throughout the town where the band will be set up and waiting for them. We will play 3 songs at each stop, then mount up and race ahead to the next stop, and be there waiting for the marchers -- if possible we should be playing when they arrive.

After the last stop, we have been invited to play at the after-party at the KWL kin house in Bree (1 High Road, Highdore), but this is optional, and we can decide if we want to do this when the main concert ends .. not all of us would need to go even if we do decide to play, since it will be very late for some people.

Here are the stops along the concert:

stop 1: In front of rock by Watchman Cardoon(facing north)
stop 2: The Prancing Pony stage
stop 3: The Boar Fountain (facing east)
stop 4: The Park next to the Town Hall (facing south)
stop 5: The signpost outside Bree South Gate (facing west)

And here are the visuals, with me facing in the direction that the band will face:

Stop 1

Stop 2

Stop 3

Stop 4

Stop 5

Briallan
Officer

Here are the standing positions for the concert .. we will use this at all stops along the way. I will be in the middle of the front row, so you can align your characters around where I set myself up:

Ehn Farad

Do these standing positions put everyone in a proper rainbow arrangement?

Siltharan
Officer

Looks like current supper plans will make eating a bit rushed for the half hour early time... Will login and get to the gate in Bree now so I don't have to do that later.

Briallan
Officer

Rhovanael wrote:

Do these standing positions put everyone in a proper rainbow arrangement?

No, I found that out too late! This is what happens when I do things in a hurry :( Anyway, we sort of didn't really even maintain our formation throughout the parade stops ....

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

Yes, totally agree with Malvy's point that it's best not to move around if we play especially if we are managing alts .. however, in this case, the parade aspect with various stops is a traditional part of this event .. I knew going into in that things would get a little ragged and that we might not be able to get to each position quick enough to be playing when the parade arrived.. but as you say, everyone had fun.

However, the idea of having two bands alternating seems like a good solution... I will bring this up with the organizers if we do this again next year.

Ehn Farad

I made the two bands alternating suggestion a few times when I was a member of KWL. Not sure why that idea has never seemed to catch on because it would make the parade a lot smoother. I don't think moving a crowd around is ever a good idea. It results in a gradual erosion of the audience. But the parade format is integral to this event and so working with two bands would be the best solution to ensuring this format works.

I agree, formations don't survive, but I think the takeaway should be "let's try harder to make them work" and "let's take our time to get lined up properly." The arrangement of players is one of those little details that makes a difference to how a band comes across to the audience. If everyone is scattered around willy nilly, or cutting into each other's characters, it really detracts from the showmanship of the band. Not to mention, with the distances between some players it can genuinely impact whether some audience members can hear all the instruments. No, it's not hugely important, but if improving it is never made a priority the band will never get better at it.

I think a big part of what happens during shows is people feel the need to rush and just park their toon wherever they can. It takes literally 5 seconds to get it positioned correctly, so a deep breath and a bit of adjusting would pretty much solve this problem permanently.

Overall it was a good show. I got a ton of screenshots, so I will try to get them up here as soon as I have time. Thanks guys, for a fun afternoon yesterday!

Siltharan
Officer

Based on how I felt the band would have been best situated, I tried to place myself as the "rear stage left" person and even announced myself as such once or twice on the moves. Eventually it just became "Oh, just go wherever" despite trying to keep things coordinated. It would be a lot easier if we didn't have to do multi-boxing with Bri scrambling about to get her alts in place. Hopefully our ranks continue to grow with the course events.

Ehn Farad

Yeah, I was trying to place myself relative to you, and that did help a lot but I think people eventually just stopped trying.

I think that even when multi-boxing, it's amazing how much of a difference just a few seconds of effort can make in getting people placed well. Even if one can't get all characters placed in a pre-arranged order, it's good to at least ensure no one is standing on top of anyone else.

Briallan
Officer

Yes, agree with the points about formations ... I am the person most guilty I think of rushing things since my people are always the last ones to get in place, and I don't want to hold everyone up (though I DO try to not move them thru people and I do try to set them up so they are not on top of someone else). Will think if there is a way I can move them around more efficiently....

Ehn Farad

One thing that I think might help a bit is if the alts are all in the back row. That way if the formation falls apart a bit then things hopefully still look a bit more organized from the front.

Briallan
Officer

Here's a couple screenies taken at different stops during the event -- looking forward to seeing some from other people as well!

In front of the Boar's Fountain

Finale outside the South Gate

Ehn Farad

I emailed a bunch to you, Malvy and Ashi. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

Ashigaru Trecalia

In hindsight, the other remedy would have been to have them stall the procession advancing - the issue in my eyes was "One person has to get three different accounts moved over and positioned and synched and they're watching and waiting the whole time." If we had stalled them to let us move, then it would have been more feasible to maintain it. But as it was, I think eventually we just said "They're right here waiting for us, let's just get this going already."

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: