Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Briallan
Officer

re: Coursera 'Online Games' course will begin April 27

Hi Kinnies!

Professor Clayton has just tweeted that the third session of Coursera's Online Games: Literature, New Media, and Narrative course will begin on April 27.

As many of you know, our kinship was started by people who took the first session of this course in the fall of 2013. When the second session of the course was offered (in July 2014), our kinship (along with our 'sister' Coursera-related kinships on Laurelin, Gladden and Meneldor) participated in the course, with many of our kith and kin acting as mentors and guides to the students.

So far, we just have this announcement that the course will be starting again soon, but we don't yet have any other details. But at the very least, this will be an opportunity for people who missed the earlier sessions of the course to take the course .. it was really a wonderful experience for us who have taken it!

We will provide more information as more details about the upcoming session of the course are announced. The Coursera web site for the course has been updated with the information about the new course session, and you can now sign up for it (though, the course contents won't be accessible until the course site goes "live," which usually happens a few days before the course officially starts).

Last edited by Briallan on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Glofinwing
Glofinwing
Officer

Yay!

Bredhe
Leader

Double yay!  I look forward to seeing new students join us!

Whackabot1
Officer

More new blood for our Kin! Loved the course, took it myself in 2013.

Pandabear

(Dwothgi, Torgovund, Bareglor, Beargod, Panphidren)

Briallan
Officer

Just in case you are wondering about what is involved in taking the course as far as time commitment (at least one person has asked), here are my thoughts from participating in the first two course sessions:

First, here is the syllabus from last year's class. Prof. Clayton has mentioned that this is also the tentative syllabus for the upcoming session. The estimated time per week required is 6-7 hours a week, according to the course announcements .. but this requires some explanation, since the time required will vary a lot from person to person.

For one thing, there is a "distinction track" where you do gameplay assignments in addition to the readings and quizzes. It is your option if you want to do the distinction track assignments or not. If you do the distinction track assignments, it will obviously take longer than if you don't do them. Also, people who are already familiar with LOTRO can do the gameplay assignments pretty quickly, and people who are not familiar with LOTRO will probably require more time.

I have found that the time required for the course is not really that consistent from week to week .. in some weeks the gameplay and reading assignments are pretty short; in other weeks it may take more time (for example the reading assignments for week 1 and 2 including finishing the first volume of Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I think might take a lot of time if you are actually going to read it .. some people have already read it and don't bother reading it again for the course).

You don't need to roll a new character to take the course .. though many people do, since the course activities are sort of aimed at lower level characters (your character doesn't have to be more than level 20 or so to complete the course assignments).

But ... the great thing about the course is that it's FREE :) What this means, to me anyway, is that you can just drop it ... or just do the parts you find interesting ... if it turns out that you can't easily fit all the required course activities into your schedule .. so there doesn't seem to be much downside to trying it and see if it works out for you. I've started several coursera courses, and only completed the ones that I found most interesting ... and that I had time for.

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Daffodilia

I haven't seen a thread on the LOTRO forum yet to point folks to, so I posted a link to both here and the course's site on our Moot Bulletins. 

I won't be able to take the class this go around, but I will help as I can.  Especially with chickens.    I will be happy to offer chicken camp as we did last year.  We can work out the details when the time comes.

I have started stock piling some apprentice tier mats, and hope to start journey tier in April to have them ready to share by the time the class begins.

I have also offered to make a Welcome Parcel with some at level cooked/trail food and maybe a little something extra for those folks either rolling greenie new on Landy or those coming in to the class activities that already play.  I just need a list of character names so I know to whom I should send the Quick Post.  I know it will be a while until that list is put together, I just wanted to mention it now in this thread so we don't all forget laters.

I wish everyone Bounder's Luck with the course, and hope what help I can offer will be of use.  Someday...someday...I will finally take this class. 

Daf, I'll be updating the LOTRO forums in a day or two with a post about the class ... actually there is an old post that I'll just update. Thanks very much for you offer of help, it's much appreciated! I'm sure the new chickens will especially appreciate it :)

Briallan
Officer

I've posted about the new course session in both player events and Landroval sub-forums of the official LOTRO forums, so you can point people to these if you would like.

Daffodilia

Super.  I will add those to the link list on my lotropad so I can share them when the topic arises in conversation.

One thing I was thinking about adding to the welcome package was starter bronze multi-toolkits (or level appropriate, depending).  Not everyone will get the universal toolkit in a hobbit present straight away, and for F2P folks, the multi tools save valuable space, especially for explorers who always want both their axe and their pick handy.  Let me know if you think that's a good idea or not.  You might be planning a crafting night for the kin where they can make their own or for others.  (The apprentice level tool recipes, at least, can be bought at the metalsmith NPC.  The other levels are still drop only except for the 50+ Guild ones.)

one more thing about publicity .. I talked with the guy who runs the LOTRO players website, and he asked me if I would write an article about the course for his website .. which I did and sent in .... once they edit and publish it, I'll add the link to this thread, so we will have more thing to point people to.

I love the idea about the toolkit! Thanks for thinking of this, and I'm sure it will be appreciated! Bredhe is planning to get and distribute one or more items for the new students, but AFAIK it doesn't conflict with what you are doing .. still, I'd have a chat with her just to coordinate ...

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Daffodilia

I'll definitely chat with Bredhe so we don't conflict.

Mal, I was planning on taking the list of character names when we have them and just put them in my friends list one by one to see their level and prof.  Maybe for higher folks, we could offer them around 5 or 10 at level crafting crit scrolls that scholars make?  Fwiw, There are some who don't have better toolkits on their higher folks, so some might still need a kit boost.

OK here is the link to the LOTRO Players article about the course, if anyone wants additional info to point people to.

Daffodilia

I realized, whilst running around like my head was cut off, that folks might not have time to make a list for Welcome Presents.  Is there someplace I should post, asking the new folks to simply send Daffodilia a post with their trainings level and (if applicable) craft in game?  That might make things a bit easier for the official type folk.

Oh...and...barrow treasures.  Right.  I need to wake Gammy up at some point today and have her send those...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: