Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Kinship Crier
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

re: Coursera 'Online Games' course will begin April 27

Hmm .. the main issue is that, from my experience, people vary as to what sources of info that they use, and I'm afraid we might miss people if we just posted it and expected them to find the post. I don't disagree at all with what Malvy is suggesting, but I'm not sure it will reach everyone. I will try to get together a list of new people, and maybe will mail them and ask them what their professions are .. or something .. anyway, thanks for reminding us, and I will get this info together and pass it on to you at some (hopefully) reasonable point in time :)

EDITED: 6:44pm server time, April 29

sandra.vickoren

Hello One and All  :D

I am one of those new students coming from the April 27th class - and though totally lost, managed to find my way here - somehow.    I do have one question, or perhaps someone could direct me to the right place for the information:   I have been on LOTRO for a while and have a character already.  I would say that 90% of those leveling points come from being a crafting yeoman as I feel still entirely new to the whole process and get confused easily.

I have followed all of the instructions to connect to the /joinchannel courser - and it tells me I am in that 'room'.... but when I type things, it tells me 'you said etc etc etc..... and yet the others chatting on the channel never answer or acknowledge that they see me.    Am I doing something wrong?   I have seen the name 'Breda' scrolling past, and I also get chats that begin with 'World', and no one there seems to see me either.     Is there some advanced privacy setting I should check?   I haven't played with any of those settings, so please - how do I find them, and what should they be set at so that People will see me?   

Or is it more customary to ignore people you don't know?

Thanks for any help,

'Autumnmyst Oakstone' in the game

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

Actually, I think Autumn has figured out whatever the problem was by now (she was chatting with Bredhe and others last night on the Coursera chat channel), but what Malvy has posted is a really good guide to steps you can take to try to resolve communication issues.

When I first started a couple years ago, I had a similar problem .. I had managed to *define* the coursera chat channel properly, but when I tried to chat, I forgot to put the /1  ahead of what I was saying, so everything I said was going to the "say" channel, so none of the Coursera people heard anything I was saying -- I assumed that people were ignoring me and was quite mortified!

But yes, it is certainly NOT standard practice to ignore people on our chat channel who you don't know, and in fact, we try to make a special effort to welcome and help anyone who is new to the channel or to the game :)

sandra.vickoren

re: re: Coursera 'Online Games' course will begin April 27

Thanks Malvy and Briallan, and those who I met in game and in chat!

It was wonderful for all of you to be so patient and helpful, and being able to give directions!   It did get sorted out finally  :D

I am going to put this thread in my Favorites section just in case I need to come back and see how to do it again!     I think I was typing in some list where no one on Coursera was seeing it.... which is easy to do it seems.   Thank you again one and all!

See you in game

Autumnmyst

Daffodilia

Cheerp wrote:

Good point Daffy! Well .. people are trickling in, with the occasional wave. But getting a list will be difficult, yes.

I'd say, just post something in the kinship crier here, making this offer public, and make a reference shout in the box upper left. Someone here then should take that and advertize it in the course forum (you are not participating yourself, Daffy, right?)

I am still offering to provide a bunch of tools, too, so please holler out here or in game with a shopping cart list attached :)

Participating in the class?  In the games?  I'm so confuzzled.

After the new tenants move in, I will post something up.

re: re: Coursera 'Online Games' course will begin April 27

Sorry Daffodilia,

That was me, having trouble communicating on the Coursera channel in the game.   The forums have been okay so far.   I should have mentioned which I was talking about. 

Sandy  /  Autumnmyst

Tamoro

Greetings, friends!

Signed up for the class this go-around, having found out about it on our kinship forums. I'm very excited to try this!

Oh yes, I suppose I'd better introduce myself... Tamoro Quickfoot of the Lonely Mountain Band, at your service!

I've been playing LOTRO since beta (2007), and I'm an altoholic.

Hi Tamoro!

Thanks for posting! Hope you are enjoying the class so far! Maybe you can enchant some of us who have come to LOTRO more recently with stories about the "old days" :) Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of your alt clan!

Daffodilia

re: Re: re: Coursera 'Online Games' course will begin April 27

sandra.vickoren wrote:

Sorry Daffodilia,

That was me, having trouble communicating on the Coursera channel in the game.   The forums have been okay so far.   I should have mentioned which I was talking about. 

Sandy  /  Autumnmyst

No worries!  I am easily confused at times.  Even when things are crystal clear to other folks nearby.  :D

One thing you may have already realized is sometimes folk forget to mark themselves /afk to go make a sandwhich, let the dog out, etc, and on the userchat channels, we can't mark ourselves as afk.  So sometimes you'll say hullo to folk, and it's not that they're ignoring you, it's that they have no idea you said hullo.  Depending on how much chat scroll happens before they come back, they might never see your hullo as well even if they scroll back to see what they missed while they were gone.

Ah...this also happens sometimes during more difficult fellows (like raids) and some social events where because 25 people just /clap claps for the band, your hullo can also be quickly swept away if they blink at the wrong moment.  Some folk make a special tab in the chat channel just for channels like coursera or kin chat so they don't miss such, but not everyone.  (I am one of the not everyones, I admit.)  I do color my chat channels (an option if you right click the general tab or through the UI) to help me not miss stuff, but it's not a perfect system.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: