Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Questing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuzia

re: Fellowship vs solo

I got fellowed by a kind stranger while at somewhere around the Red Marshes and it seems like I got a lot more kills credited to me than I did. He was a  higher level and ran around killing stuff. Is that how it works, with fellowships, everybody getting credit for the whole? 

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Ashigaru Trecalia

A term you may see people use is "tapping" - basically, if someone in your group either damages a target or heals someone who damages a target, then your group will get credit for the kill (especially nice if I do a drive-by healing of someone in a Moors fight)

Interesting. I hope I can develop a better way of connecting with people to do things together. Yesterday I got lucky when an elf was wondering the barrow at the same time as I doing about the same (filling up on the slayer deeds in Bree and collecting the barrow treasures for the Return to Bree skill) and agreeing to be fellowed and it sure is nice to see the slayer counts go up faster! Plus of course it's fun to be running around the barrows together. So if any of your 30's characters or so want to do stuff around Lone Lands (or for that matter, kill wights and spiders in the Barrowdowns and kill neeckerbockers and flies in the Marshes) give me a shout.

Daffodilia

Cheerp wrote:

Generally speaking, yes.

The long story: You get credits (and the loot share) from people in your fellowship, if they are "not too far away" - do not know what exactly makes up "too far". But inside an instance this is not an issue.

Second, if you are part of a bigger raid (i.e. a group of up to four fellowships going together), again only the kills inside your own fellowship count.

Regarding while in a fellowship: From my experience with the Good Deed folks that meet most Saturday eves, it's about who fits in the compass (radar/minimap).  We have found that so long as folks are seen as a fellow dot at the time of the kill, they will get credit.  So if I slay something, anyone who can see my fellow dot in their compass will get credit.     

It's once folks stray beyond that range where they do not count.  I do not know the exact distance in meters, I just know the visual from our experimenting during Good Deeds.  Since we learned that, we try to cluster close-ish during our deed runs.   

Regarding raids: So long as one person from each fellowship within the raid "taps" said foe, all will get credit if the tapper(s) in their fellow are on their compass.  We found this out the first time more than 6 folks showed up so we had to form a raid.

I have heard (but have not tested) that some folks will get credit if they are in a place with a level above/below so long as they are still within whatever that compass range is, just not on the same level of a building.  Let me stress that I am not certain if this is true, it's just what I've heard, and there are not many places like this in Middle Earth that are not instances.

Speaking of Good Deeders: Anyone is welcome to do Good Deeds.  We work on finishing in game slayer/explorer deeds that you'll find in your deed log.  We do not work on quest deeds like "complete x quests in the Shire", but sometimes folks will finish kill # of x quests while out Good Deeding.  We meet the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th Saturdays of the month from 8-10p servertime on what some folks call Musterin' Hill in Michel Delving.  Musterin' Hill is the hill between the MD Stable and the Crafting Area.  The 4th Saturday is for Instance Deeds.  We don't meet on the 3rd Saturday because the Middle Earth Crafting & Wares folks host the event, and they go to the Sons of Numenor Market that week.

We choose where to deed based on who shows up, although the Instance nights, which are newish, we'll sometimes know because we want to go back to where we were the month before because many of the instance deeds can't be finished in one visit.  You can come every time for the whole time, or just when you feel like it.  Obviously, for instance deeds, I think GB is the lowest at 20?  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

This Saturday we'll be going back to Angmar to continue what we started last month.  I think we were in Barad Guluran?  I'm terrible with place names I don't frequent, so I'm not certain, though it looks right from what I see on the wiki link.

I'm not certain you need to be that close...the reason I say this goes back, again, to my Ettenmoors experience.  When I go out, I'll see if there's an Open Raid, and if none on the list I'll ask if there's a freep group out.  I may get my invite even before I've left Glan Vraig, they're fighting around Lugazag (on the opposite corner of the map), and I'm still getting renown and commendations from kills when there's no way I'm anywhere near their dots on the minimap.

Ashigaru, what is a freep and how do you ask if it's out?

Thanks

Briallan
Officer

Kuzia wrote:

Interesting. I hope I can develop a better way of connecting with people to do things together. Yesterday I got lucky when an elf was wondering the barrow at the same time as I doing about the same (filling up on the slayer deeds in Bree and collecting the barrow treasures for the Return to Bree skill) and agreeing to be fellowed and it sure is nice to see the slayer counts go up faster! Plus of course it's fun to be running around the barrows together. So if any of your 30's characters or so want to do stuff around Lone Lands (or for that matter, kill wights and spiders in the Barrowdowns and kill neeckerbockers and flies in the Marshes) give me a shout.

So here a few tips that may help you connect with people to do stuff:

First, open the social panel (type 'o') and go to the "Fellowing" tab. You will see a checkbox titled "Player Looking For Fellowship." Check that box -- you should see a green person icon appear next to your name in the list below. This tells the world that you are looking to team with people to do stuff -- this will increase the likelihood that someone who might be questing in your area will ask you to fellow with them.

Second, you can just ask on the Coursera channel if people are interested in doing something together. Don't be shy! -- we all enjoy doing stuff together and helping each other accomplish our goals in the game :)

Third, you can just decide that you want to do something at a particular day and time, and ask one of the officers to help you set that up. This can be helpful because if people know when an event is happeneing, they can get ready for it: like, they won't be in the middle of doing something else in the game, and they have time to empty their inventory and grab the appropriate food and potions. Also, if they aren't online, they can log into the game at the appropriate time for the event. So you may get a much larger group of people if you plan and post about the event, rather than just asking on the Coursera channel without any advance notice to people.

Personally, I would say that it's fairly easy to find a quest buddy or two by just asking on the Coursera channel, especially when the channel is busy. But anytime I want to do an event that requires 6 or more people (like a full fellowship quest), I plan it in advance.

One thing to be aware of is that, great as our website is :), many people in our community hardly ever look at the website. So, when I plan an event, I not only post about it on the website and put it on the website calendar, but I also send out kin-wide mail to people, to reach the people who don't look at the website often. Also, we can put a notice about it in the Message of the Day. You can also send a PM to all website users at once. So, this is why having an officer help you set up the event is helpful .. only officers can send out kin-wide mail and update the Message of the Day.

Daffodilia

Ashigaru Trecalia wrote:

I'm not certain you need to be that close...the reason I say this goes back, again, to my Ettenmoors experience.  When I go out, I'll see if there's an Open Raid, and if none on the list I'll ask if there's a freep group out.  I may get my invite even before I've left Glan Vraig, they're fighting around Lugazag (on the opposite corner of the map), and I'm still getting renown and commendations from kills when there's no way I'm anywhere near their dots on the minimap.

Interesting.  I wonder if the Moors has a different set of rules, more similar to an instance?  From what little I've been to the Moors, I can understand why they would as I seem to recall at least in TA we'd sometimes get spread way apart, so it would be easy for someone to get upset if they didn't get credit because they were just a wee bit too far away.

I can say with assurance that in PVE landscape, that the range is that dismally close.  The only reason I know this is because of how many times we've done the group deeding.  When we get too spread apart--especially if someone is one shotting ahead of the lower level folk because it takes the lowers longer to get the target(s) down--so in short order they can quickly get out of that range.  For those who keep our deeds up on tracker, you can clearly see the deed tally stop counting those faster ticks when the one shotters get out of range.  As soon as we cluster back up, then it resumes the previous pace before they got so far away. 

It's also evident in that we've had groups where many folks started at 0 for that particular slayer deed, and not everyone from the start at 0 crowd gets done at the same time if we've had straying that had to get reined back in. (FWIW: no one went AFK/lagged out during the run.)  The more the reining is needed, usually the bigger the gap in deed counts as well.  This has proven especially true when the only hunter in a group is the one shotter, and we all lost the run buff to keep up--fortunately it's rare nowadays to have only one hunter show up, it happened more frequently when we were lucky to have four folks show up on any given Saturday. 

Bummer on the range. I had a "brilliant idea" to spread out wide in killing deeds that involve killing things that are widely spread, like those stupid flies in Bree and Shire, or crebain, etc. You walk about just to find one or two! But I guess this won't work, then.

Daffodilia

Kuzia wrote:

Bummer on the range. I had a "brilliant idea" to spread out wide in killing deeds that involve killing things that are widely spread, like those stupid flies in Bree and Shire, or crebain, etc. You walk about just to find one or two! But I guess this won't work, then.

Regarding spreading out, unless someone in your group is one shotting, it's best to use the fellow target assist and stay grouped for faster take downs in general.  (FYI: Except for Good Deeding, I play many of my folks (alts) with on or near level groups more often than not). 

One thing I dare to suggest: If you don't need the TP, only deed what you need for the virtues you seek for that alt.  If you're not sure what deeds will give you what you want, check sources like the wiki.  You can always come back later as a higher level to finish the non-needed deeds if you decide later you want to for whatever reason.

One thing I'm not sure if you know yet is that certain "spawn" points for mobs like sickleflies are shared with a pool of potential respawns.  In the Shire, for instance, most of the slugs in Rushock Bog share the spawn with gnats/toads and some even share with creatures one wouldn't normally kill because they aren't "foes" (gray health bars like snakes, some deer, etc).  Cherry picking in such cases is the worst thing you can do because the return rate gets worse each time you do.  There are some points that only generate one mob type, and you'll see which is which after you deed through a few alts.  Yet for some mobs like slugs, you don't want to waste time just hitting those over and over again because you'll find yourself waiting for the respawns--it takes way longer and is quite boring compared to just doing a clean sweep.

So if your focus is slug deeding in such a case, you kill EVERYTHING that isn't a dourhand.  This guarantees a better chance of what you want returning.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone to slug squash, and I see a ratio of 75% gnats to 15% slugs to 10% toads/et al because someone did a few rounds killing nothing but slugs.  If you clear everything, you can usually finish both tiers within 3 rounds of the bog.  Otherwise it can take 5 or more.   Sickles in the Shire, same thing.  the flies that aren't on the hill share spawns with wolves, some grey bars and I forget what else off hand-shrews maybe?  There are also sickles North of Yale on both sides of the river, but I typically will just circle the Yale and a bit further out near those farms to the west of Yale Height and slaughter everything.

This also applies to some shared crafting nodes.  Back when you could get tin or copper, you'd find places with nothing but copper because someone ran around and only took tin until there was no tin left--nowadays it's more common where someone is taking only the jewler metals--as for mobs, some spots will always be the same spawn, but you'll get whatever the RNG (the in game random generator) deems more common, like barrow iron instead of silver/rich silver or rich barrow iron. 

For the Midgewater Marshes, sickles share some spawns with neekers or frogs/snakes (the latter being harmless greys).  I don't think they share spawns with the spiders that are on the edges where they intertwine, but there are a small handful of spots where they share spawns with some gobs, though not many and again only in the intertwine areas.  Mostly on the southern edge, far away from the three gob hot spots.  Nearer the Weather Hills, some of those gobs share with neekers/flies, but it's only a handful at best.  In thinking on this more, there may be some spider spawn shares near the Muster Cave near the NE corner, but if memory serves, it's also not significant enough that I go there unless I still needed spiders.  It's better to do spiders/neeker/flies at the same time in that area east of the spider ruins if you still need a lot of spiders.  Otherwise, start near Willowsong or the res circle on the west and just stay on the  southern side and loop back in the middle, hauling back to Staddle if you need to empty bags.  You will find more sickles near the spot where the neeker is caged and there are NPCs, but you'll spend a lot of time waiting if you try to do just that area alone for a full deed run.

For Crebain in the Lone Lands, and you'll find this for some things all over Middle Earth in that there is a place where they are abundant (the new Warg dens in LL as well), go to where Harmon (and old quest foe for woodworking crafters) is with his feathered friends.  It's between both Thandobel/Mithrenost and the Eglain Camp, though using Ivornas as your hub is best because Refr Quicksilver is an NPC you can sell to, and the Eglain camp still does not have a merchant, and if you have swift travel to Ost Guruth, Ivornas isn't far from there. 

Another tip is that just after server resets (3am ET) are the best time to find the "default" mobs settings for any given area, so you have the best chance of getting what you're most likely looking for if you're trying to start or cherry-pick top off a deed.  (This includes many rare elites, especially in places like Sarnur.)

Lastly, if you yourself are not a hunter or warden, a hunter deed buddy helps with the run buff.  If you're in an area where you might require healing, then a healer is worth more than the run buff, depending on what you're doing.

Oh wow! Thanks! I spent quite a bit of time hunting these slugs there, even though I have to say - doing that way above the level, it was one of the most relaxing things ever. It was beautiful. It also did start to look to me like there was  more and more frogs and gnats - no wonder! I did the Shire sickles on the Yale hill. Again, I was overleveled, and so I just let Kuzya stand there after each round while I was typing a phrase or two into the document I needed to create in another window, then go back, kill whatever number of sickleflies, go back to the document. 

It's actually worth it to go back and check out low level quests, at least the first time around. because somehow apparently I missed on a significant chunk of important Bree quests, including Saving Sara Oakenshieid. Basically I managed to move to the Lone Lands without even finding Archet, Staddle and most of the Midgewater Marsh! (Well, I rode through Staddle but never payed attention to it, a bit like Albany, NY which just looks like a big roads intersection until you actually stop there and discover a whole town :) I also didn't realize I was missing a chunk until I tried doing the explorer deed and asked myself - hey have I really been to this area? what happens if I go through the woods THIS way? 

Interesting point on some deeds being more useful than others. I guess I am one of those people who are bothered by unfulfilled deeds and quests :) but I should get over it, thank you very much for your suggestion, I will check out which ones Kuzya needs. I also made an elf girl, but I want to change her name. She is level 6 guard. I'll check what she needs as well. I am mostly playing with Kuzya though. I like Kuzya. I should give him a surname.

Thank you very much Ehhh for helping me out yesterday at Garth Agarwen! Funny how once you revived me before I realized I was dead :)

Daffodilia

My nature is that of a completionist.  However, I know most folks aren't, which was why the "dare to suggest" is a bit of a joke at myself.  :)  There are two parts of the game that did kill my completionism urge a bit.  Ok, curbed it slightly, but still.  (The Ale Association and the Poaching in Lothlorien)

I also "lemon farm" so I can add more storage to two neighborhoods I created with my hubby that are similar in storage nature to our Coursehood (there's a thread about one of them on this forum somewhere).  I call grinding Turbine Points (TP) from deed completion farming lemons because to me the store logo looks like a lemon slice.  I know what it is supposed to be, but that's what I saw first, and I prefer to think I'm makin' delicious lemonade that I share with my friends.  (If you don't know, with housing storage: once you get past the in game gold expansions, you can only add space with Mithril Coins, and those you get by buying them in the store with TP, unless you happen to get showered with them in Hobbit presents since it costs 100 MC to get a whopping 15 extra cubbies (slots).  There's a way old timers got some freebie MC due to a currency change with one festival, but that was a one time thing back when.)

There is an awful lot that is easy to miss, especially in the beginning if you don't know what's possible. 

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: