Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Memory Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Siltharan
Officer

re: Kinship Activities (Music, gatherings)

Just putting in writing (well, once again) a thought I had regarding possible kin activities. While Krohkur (in another kin) and one of Del's characters joined me in playing some music, I thought it'd be a great idea to have some sort of concert and large gathering once we are able to obtain a kin house. Others in the userchat agreed, so I was wondering who might be interested in getting a band together. I know Pin and others were discussing training us in different instruments, which would definitely help as far as versatility goes.

For a more in-depth discussion of LOTRO music, check out Briallan's thread here:
http://courserrim.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9711087&p=34626122&gid=345552#34626122

Reply below with this information so we can try to get a good list of toons going:

Character name:
Instrument:
Favorite song (preferably one that's already been ABC'd):
Availability (Days/times):
Any other info/comments:

Last edited by Siltharan on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trower

Great idea! The whole music scene in lotro interests me and I'll be doing some research soon. Hopefully get a jam session going!

~Trower
Siltharan
Officer

Character name: Siltharan
Instrument(s): Lute, Clarinet (may learn more)
Favorite song (preferably one that's already been ABC'd): So far, Portal's Still Alive. ;)
Availability (Days/times): Varies by work schedule, anywhere from mornings to evenings CST (Server time -1).
Briallan
Officer

Character name: Briallan
Instrument(s): Lute, Clarinet (plan on learning more)
Favorite song (preferably one that's already been ABC'd): Moonlight Shadow (not sure if ABC exists; have a MIDI version and will look into converting it to ABCs)
Availability (Days/times): Weekdays - late afternoon to late evening PST (Server time -3); Weekends - potentially anytime (mornings to late evenings)
Ice Weasel

Character name: Krohkur
Instrument(s): Lute, Clarinet, Flute, Harp, Thorebo, Pibgorn, Bagpipe, Horn, Drum, Cowbell (Minstrels rock the instrument lists wink )
Favorite song (preferably one that's already been ABC'd):Hard to pick a fave. I tend to go for classic rock, Led Zepplin; Beatles; Crsoby,Stills, Nash & Young; Simon and Garfunkle... also there is a wealth of Classical ABC files out there (Bach, Mozart, Hayden), and a lot of the music from the LOTR movies and LOTRO the game have been transcribed. I love it all.
Availability (Days/times): Most afternoons, evenings, from about 3PM to 11PM Central Time (GMT -6) nearly every day.

I don't have Krohkur in the Courserrim, as I need to have him help other kinmates in my original kinship, but I monitor the Courserrim chat channel whenever I am on, with any of my characters.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Dendrolis

Hey, love the idea of a band.

Character name: Dendroc
Instrument: minstrel, so can play all, but fav is harp
Favorite song (preferably one that's already been ABC'd): I like Regina Spektor stuff, Ben Folds. I've been finding midi files and running them through maestro to transcribe them to abc format.
Availability (Days/times): varied - due to work schedule
Any other info/comments: Hopefully I can get up to 30 soon so I can start learning to mentor folks as well.

Hey Dendrolis -- glad to hear we have some other people doing MIDI conversions! I have some midi files that I have converted (and others I plan to convert) as well. As we get closer to the end of the course activities (i.e., in a week or two), I hope we can build up momentum and get our band activities rolling.

Also, for Siltharan: I found a pretty good MIDI file for "Still Alive," (not sure if there are existing ABCs for it or not), so we can definitely add this one to our repertoire.
Siltharan
Officer

Briallan wrote:
Also, for Siltharan: I found a pretty good MIDI file for "Still Alive," (not sure if there are existing ABCs for it or not), so we can definitely add this one to our repertoire.

I have Still Alive as a single-instrument ABC. Seems decent enough for me, but I'd have to compare it to your conversion, especially if we would split it up. Happy
Briallan
Officer

Siltharan wrote:
I have Still Alive as a single-instrument ABC. Seems decent enough for me, but I'd have to compare it to your conversion, especially if we would split it up. Happy

The MIDI I have has tracks that would most likely convert to parts for flute, harp, drum, clarinet (or pibgorn?) and lute. In general, I've been looking for MIDIs that would convert into multiple ABCs, and I'm hoping that we can get enough interest within the greater Courserrim community to deploy a 6-piece band on at least some occasions to play such arrangements. We'll see!
Siltharan
Officer

Sounds good. I think it would definitely be fun to have a full band playing all parts for our events.
Hobbelion

Character name: Hobbelion
Instrument: Lute, horn, and cowbell (gotta have that cowbell, baby)
Favorite song (preferably one that's already been ABC'd): I like video game music mostly so any video game soundtrack would be cool.
Availability (Days/times): Evenings 9-12 PM EST during weekday with some exceptions, weekends vary, but Sunday evenings I tend to be free.
Any other info/comments: I would be happy to watch as much as play!
Briallan
Officer

re: First Band Meetup

Based on the above posts, it appears that we have 6 band members so far: Siltharan, Trower, Briallan, Krohkur, Dendroc, and Hobbelion. This is pretty cool, as I think we can create a great sound with that many people, especially considering how many minstrels we have. I think we should schedule our first band meeting. I am proposing the following:

• We meet next Sunday Oct. 20 at 9PM server time (this is about a week from today), and I'm tentatively adding that to the calendar. Everyone should be done with the last course assignment by then. If this time doesn't work for anyone, please let me know and I'll try to find a time that works for everyone.

• We should each decide on some songs that we'd like to play, add the ABCs for those songs to some publicly accessible location, and report back on this thread where they are. Generally, multi-part songs would be the best, unless it's something you want to do as a solo. Krohkur has already provided some at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qtdsank13wfq4c1/yBnAzIuaWh [EDIT: note that there are many public sites that already have ABCs; so if want to play some of those songs, you wouldn't actually need to re-post them anyplace, just make a note of where they are]

• When we meet, we can play these songs to see if we have a sufficient mix of instruments and people to cover all the parts. Also, if people have created ABCs and want to test them, this would be a great time to do that.

If we do this at our meetups, we can gradually assemble a pretty sizeable repertoire of songs we'd like to perform as a group.

How does this sound -- anyone have other suggestions  / ideas?

Also, anyone else interested in playing in a Courserrim band, please let us know!

Last edited by Briallan on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Ice Weasel

I'll be there with bells on, and a bag full of instruments! 

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Briallan
Officer

Cool! By the way, I'll be bringing along a minstrel Alt of mine that I created on a second account, so both of us can play at the same time. Any band members who have a second computer might consider doing the same thing -- we can theoretically double our band size this way!

Siltharan
Officer

I'll definitely be there! Even if I did have to work, I'd be back home by 8:30pm EST. :)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> The Memory Vault All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: