Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Siltharan
Officer

re: Songlist (UPDATE 10/30)

I've created this sticky to gather up all links to ABCs that kin and others have posted, so they are easily found:

Krohkur: Dropbox Link (Wide variety, single and multi-part ABCs)

Siltharan: Dropbox Link (Video games, Halloween, others)

Briallan: Dropbox Link (Rock, video game, anime, others)

Dendroc: Dropbox Link (Variety)

Hobbelion: Dropbox Link (Duck Tales, Secret of Mana)

Last edited by Siltharan on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:23 pm; edited 11 times in total
Briallan
Officer

At the bottom of this post is a link to 20 or so ABC arrangements I've made: mostly classic rock, but also some other stuff (anime, Enya, games, DDR). I'm also interested in doing some traditional stuff (folk and classical) at some point.

These arrangements currently have all parts in the same file, so that you can (if you wish) play them with Digero's ABC player to see how they would sound in-game. I plan on breaking them up so that there's only one part per file before band meetup this Sunday, but this at least gives you some idea what I've been busily working on!

Most of these arrangements are for six instruments (there are a few for five or seven) as I'm expecting we can get 6 or more people in the band when things ramp up. If we get more than 6 band members who are regularly available, I can rearrange these for more instruments - it only took me about 8 hours to create all of these, including several rethinks once I discovered what a versatile instrument the bagpipe is :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/haeroj7ubj1ih92/IFjC54GCLq

Siltharan
Officer

I plan on breaking them up so that there's only one part per file before band meetup this Sunday, but this at least gives you some idea what I've been busily working on!

>>> Why one part per file? I believe Songbook lets you choose which part to play in a file that includes all. I think all of the band members ought to use Songbook, since it makes things so much easier (file selecting and syncing).

If we get more than 6 band members who are regularly available, I can rearrange these for more instruments - it only took me about 8 hours to create all of these, including several rethinks once I discovered what a versatile instrument the bagpipe is :-)

>>> I haven't really looked at the bagpipe yet. I mostly use Lute/Theorbo/Horn/Flute/Drums with occasional other parts. ;)

Briallan
Officer

Siltharan wrote:

I plan on breaking them up so that there's only one part per file before band meetup this Sunday, but this at least gives you some idea what I've been busily working on!

>>> Why one part per file? I believe Songbook lets you choose which part to play in a file that includes all. I think all of the band members ought to use Songbook, since it makes things so much easier (file selecting and syncing).

IGNORANCE! I didn't know the Songbook allowed you do that! I will download the Songbook, and am happy that I don't have to break up the files.

Siltharan
Officer

Also, quoting really stinks. I tried that to better respond to your post, but... yeah, ugly! :P

Briallan
Officer

Siltharan wrote:

If we get more than 6 band members who are regularly available, I can rearrange these for more instruments - it only took me about 8 hours to create all of these, including several rethinks once I discovered what a versatile instrument the bagpipe is :-)

>>> I haven't really looked at the bagpipe yet. I mostly use Lute/Theorbo/Horn/Flute/Drums with occasional other parts. ;)

I've been converting some rock'n'roll midis. A lute/harp is often a good substitute for a guitar, but it doesn't really create the effect of an overdriven or distorted guitar. I've found that using a bagpipe or sometimes a pibgorn (either alone or in conjunction with a lute) is often the best instrument to map those instruments to.

Siltharan
Officer

Yeah, I use the harp too, of course. Forgot that one.

Ice Weasel

Just today added to my dropbox:

It's Raining Men, a campy fun thing that I play as a solo under the Eoworth beacon tower. (Thats a thing in Rohan where you have to get to the top of a tower by juping from plank to plank. People always fall off a  lot until they make it up. so... being a wise acre...)

Lady Margaret, a really nice folky tune, based on a traditional ballad. No drums in that one!

Spooks on Parade - I just had to give a shot at converting it... not sure about it, especially in the drum track. 

All are individual files in the folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qtdsank13wfq4c1/yBnAzIuaWh

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Ice Weasel

and some more in that Dropbox folder:

Bluesette, A jazz/blues standard for combo

Empire, The Empire Theme from Star Wars

Fields, Fields of Gold by Sting

FnlCntdn, Final Countdown by Europe

haton, You can Leave Your Hat On by Joe Cocker

lace, Leather and Lace by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley

pariswalk, Parisienne Walkway, another jazz/blues standard

RightNow, Right Now by Van Halen

take5, Take Five as performed by the Dave Brubek Quartet (jazz/blues)

thrillisgone, The Thrill is Gone by BB King

Briallan
Officer

Its nice to see some jazz pieces in there -- this might be stuff we could do with smaller groups. From my experience so far, it's hard to reproduce the familiar sound of some rock standards with less than 6 instruments, partly because you need to account for the vocal tracks, but a lot of jazz pieces are more thinly instrumented, and traditionally performed without vocals. For example "Take Five" was originally instrumented for the Dave Brubeck QUARTET. IMHO, the Take Five ABC you uploaded sounds a bit over-instrumented when all five parts are played (lute, harp, flute, theorbo, drums), but if you lose the lute, it sounds pretty darn good, and I bet very close to the original instrumentation!

So, while I'm still looking to create a selection of 6-piece rock-style arrangements, maybe we can also create some jazz ABCs that are arranged for 4 instruments, so we could do jazz sets even if only 4 band members are available. What do you think?

Last edited by Briallan on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ice Weasel

Good idea!

Yeah, I would think most jazz standards can be boiled down to 4 parts.... Lute, Harp, Theorbo, Drums. I used Flute to sand in for the muted trumpet track on the midi... horn was a bit bossy but flute seemed to fill it in.  The lute track is, I think, mainly a fill and rhythm track, just a second bed along with the piano, which I mapped to Harp. Be nice to have  a set list for trios, too. 

I've got a lot of jazz stuff, but most aren't midi.  I'll go poke around some of the old sites I used to pillage. 

OH!  And if you can make these sound better, I am completely open to that.  I'm not "paternal" to the songs, or anything... I'm all for getting quality stuff out of the process! :-)

Siltharan
Officer

Oh, wow. Take Five brings back some memories (and not from when Brubeck was popular, either ;) ). My high school marching band did a set of jazz tunes at halftime of football games one year, including Take Five. We also took them with us when we went to Russia. Quite fun to pump out the baseline of Take Five and Blue Rondo a la Turk as a tuba player. :)

Briallan
Officer

Yeah, Mozart ... now I want to do a rock band, a jazz band and a classical band! But maybe we should slow down and focus, I dunno.

I did my first three Stones songs tonite! Beast of Burden, Under My Thumb, and Paint It Black (the last one might be appropriate for a Halloween-themed set?). Under My Thumb is PARTICULARLY cool, since it's the first time I've been able to incorporate a Cowbell into a 6-piece arrangement (I hope you're reading this, Hobbelion, I know you are a cowbell fan)! A lot of Stones songs are cowbell friendly, I think...

I've uploaded them to my dropbox site. Now that I can rely on ABC player for testing, I am only going to upload stuff to my dropbox if I think they are concert-ready, like these three songs-- they are not only converted via Maestro, but also manually tweaked to adjust volume for the different parts. I will also go back at some point and remove from my dropbox stuff that I think still needs work before we can perform it -- so ultimately, my dropbox will only contain stuff that I am personally satisfied with, and ready for people's feedback.

Ah... I gotta take a break .. I'm think I'm getting addicted to this....

EDIT: oops, just realized .. Blue Rondo a la Turk is prolly NOT the Mozart piece I'm thinking of....

Siltharan
Officer

Nope. Another Brubeck piece, with an odd 9/8 time. Or... more like 2+2+2+3 2+2+2+3 2+2+2+3 3+3+3 :P We had to hear the recording first to really understand what 9/8 meant with the triplets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc34Uj8wlmE

Also, I know what you mean about being addicted... Though I must commend you for your devotion to your own idea of perfection. :) Once I hit on something I like as far as parts arrangement, I tend to send it to my Dropbox unless things are out of tune.

Dendrolis

Did an update to the dropbox last night/this morning... some new stuff - mostly just starting with stuff I like and mostly for 5-6 parts.

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: