Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Briallan
Officer

re: Songlist (UPDATE 10/30)

RING OF FIRE!!! I was wondering how you were gonna do the mariachi stuff -- clarinet and horn worked out pretty well, I thought! [I was trying to find a fire emoticon but I guess there aren't any....]

Ice Weasel

I've gotten a bit more organized, and now files in my dropbox are sorted into folders by mood or genre.  

I don't *think* I broke anything doing that. ;-)

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Dendrolis

Yeah, that one was tough - I tried to get the number of parts down, but I couldn't do fewer than 7.  And the midi file fades at a repeat, but I haven't figured out how to solve that.  But I thought it ended up sounding pretty decent on the player.

I have a 7-part song, too (Hotel California), so I'm hoping we can occasionally get a 7th musician to do those kind of arrangements. I am not sure about restoring the volume for fades, but it happens frequently enough in midis that I'll probably spend some time at some point trying to see if there some sort of general fix for the issue.

Generally, I've found the problems are in two categories: (1) midi sounds OK, but Maestro has some issues converting it (that was certainly the case with Crazy Train), and (2) midi has some weirdness due to unfortunate choices by its author.

Sometimes I think that both categories of problem are probably better solved by editing the midi itself than trying to get into the ABC and fix it, other than straightforward ABC fixes like making an entire instrument uniformly louder or softly throughout the whole ABC file. I'm tempted to hook up my midi keyboard and fire up my DAW at some point and try to attack the problems at the root, but I've only used it to record simple tracks up to this point, so I have a learning curve if I'm gonna do any serious editing. Though, if I brushed up on ABC notation, I might be able to do more sophisticated tweaks in the ABC. So, learning curve either way. (ah.. wish the day was longer than 24 hours....)

Last edited by Briallan on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ice Weasel

The "daddy" of all ABC format topics and software is http://abcnotation.com/software#ABCexplorer

It has the official standard, tutorials, all sorts of things ABC related. Some really interesting stuff there.

Back in the day, I used software called "Cakewalk"... it gave incredible editing control over midi files. You could edit in staff view, piano roll, or as a waveform sort of thing.  The later versions I had let you use a WAV as a bed, with basic editing available for that (trim, limit, compress, stretch, etc.). I don't think mp3 files were a "thing" yet. I loved that software, I could spend (far too) much time fiddling around with creating audio for presentation videos that I did at work.

I don't think they even make that anymore. For that matter... I used to have to interface with the midi/joystick port on a SoundBlaster AWE card... SB16 before that... to attach a simple midi keyboard (no synth in it, relied on the software to make sound). No idea how I'd do that on my current laptop. 

Okay, I'm feeling old.  Time to go hunt 60's folk rock midis.

Briallan
Officer

I have a commercial DAW (Studio One) that was bundled with my keyboard, but a lot of people posting in the music forums seem to use Anvil Studio (prolly cuase its freeware). Still, I'll focus for time being on stuff that converts pretty easy, so I will put off that day of reckoning for awhile!

Dendrolis

I remember cakewalk from back when I did sound design for theatre (that was about 10 years ago).  I forget what I used it for now.  But that was in the days of cool edit pro and sound forge too.  I haven't ventured much into the computer sound program market much since then, so any things you find are really helpful.

Cool Edit Pro!  I used that too I think. Why didn't I use Sound Forge? No idea. Too long ago. 

I would use Cakewalk to layer on audio for 3D rendered fly-throughs of proposed sets and hall designs, and used a program called Tempra that came with a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) card for the computer.  This card drove three Video cassette machines, so we could mix sources down to one tape.  I'd lay the audio on after I did the fly-through, but we never got to putting actual voice narration in. At the time we were cutting edge, baby!

Now, my 23 year old son can do all that with his phone. LOL

Siltharan
Officer

I picked up Anvil Studio (free version)... Can't remember which song it was I used it for. It was in my first couple days of composing. :)

Ice Weasel

More songs in the folder "Jazz-Blues" in by dropbox.

Some small combo stuff (trios, quartets) a few up to seven musicians including drums. I have one that I'm working on that could end up as a twelve-part, should e ever get that many to play. (It would be glorious!) Sometimes, you need a little Ellington Big Band. 

Ice Weasel

More new stuff in the old Dropbox.

Including the only song I've ever used Theorbo, Flute, TWO Horns, TWO Bagpipes, Pibgorn, and Drums on... It's a strange trip to re-set the Jazz/Rock standard Green Onions from a Hammond Organ explosion to pseudo-medieval instruments. LOL....

Also, who knew that Stevie Wonder rocks with bagpipes?

I'm going to stick another folder in there, with the source midi files for things I'm not quite happy with... anyone who wants to take a whack at em, please do!

Siltharan
Officer

Updated with several Legend of Zelda songs... May work on some more VG music tonight.

Hobbelion

Hey guys, I got Duck Tales The Moon and Himalayas into an ABC. I extended the MIDI of The Moon but I need to create the ABC file from that. I also made an ABC of the field theme for Secret of Mana.

I'm up for changes or feedback if it makes the sound better or we need more or less fits the band better.

My dropbox folder is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yeig9zlckl17q4r/FsaP3VZlWf

Ice Weasel

Just dropped 2 in my dropbox:

Tetris_MusicA (OLD old school)

Games_People_Play by the Alan Parsons Project (not in-game music, but I thought it might be appropriate. Plus, it has optional Cowbell.)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mention that they are in my "WORKING" folder. Couple other things I'm messing with in there, too... feel free to grab/comment on any/all. :-)

Ice Weasel

Bunch of new stuff in my Dropbox, in the folder "NEW_test".

• Set Fire to the Rain -(Adele)
  • Famous Last Words -(My Chemical Romance)
  • Grenade -(Bruno Mars)
  • Heart-Shaped Box -(Evanescence)
  • Mama Told Me (Not to Come) -(3 Dog Night)
  • Old Apartment -(Barenaked Ladies)
  • Old Fashioned Love Song -(3 Dog Night)
  • One (is the Loneliest Number) -(3 Dog Night)
  • Rock Steady -(Bad Company)

check em out, let me know what needs some tweaking...

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: