Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Ice Weasel

re: Songlist (UPDATE 10/30)

Got a wild idea...

I convert a lot, and then can't remember which songs are long, which have more than 5 parts, which use Bagpipes... So, I built a text file, in my Dropbox now: KrohkursPartsList.txt.

Here's a sample:

Krohkur's Breakdowns:

[Filename] [time] [#parts] [List of Parts] 

Jazz_R&B:

Accustomed: 3:15 (1) Solo Lute

Around_Midnight: 5:09 (5) Lute, Theo, Flute, Horn, Drums

ATrainTrio: 2:22 (3) Harp, Theo, Horn

Etc., etc.

Listed by which directory of my Dropbox they are in.

If I get some more time, I'll try to plop all this into a spreadsheet, so it is sort/search-able.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Ice Weasel

I've made my Breakdown list into a Google Doc, and shared to anyone with the URL.

{LINK REMOVED: Authorized editors have been PMed the link}

Yeah, it's long. so, let me try to Bit.ly it... Here's a short version:

It will be a living document; as I move things around, in or out of my Dropbox folders, I'll keep it updated. 

Last edited by Ice Weasel on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hobbelion

All I have to say is... dang! That's some serious dedication. I'll try to do that as well as time permits. I have been keeping a log of what parts were attached to which track in the midi since that information is not kept when the ABC file is created so if I needed to tweak it a bit or extend it, then it is easy enough to duplicate. Fortunately, I don't have that many songs so it should be easier.

Briallan
Officer

I do what Hobbs does for the exact same reason. I also makes notes about whatever tweaks I did to the ABC afterwards (mostly, which parts had volume modified and by how much, and which parts I transposed up or down and by how much), and what instruments might be good substitutes for some other instruments (if we, for example, don't have a bagpiper at some concert).

Siltharan
Officer

Wow. I feel so inadequate here now. XD I think the text file might be a lot of work, though it would do a very good job of explaining what's in what folder... And the notes? I've not been good at those either since I typically grab the MIDI, convert, then delete. Probably not the best composer ever. :P

Ice Weasel

I'd certainly be willing to "dissect" files to generate listings like the ones I've done... Popping each into the Player gives time, number of parts, which instruments are called, and usually title, sometimes artist/composer, and a quick Google can fill in the last bit.

I'd be willing to help "catalog" our playlists, so we know which songs are in what genre, and all the assorted stuff. Then I can build tables showing "All Rock songs with 5 parts" or "All Game Songs with Clarinet", that sort of thing.

Have I mentioned that I have a lot of time on my hands? 

If people want, I can cruise through their dropboxes and compile some listings. 

Siltharan
Officer

Hehe... Feel free to hop into mine and do the same if you wish. ;)

Also, I added several more Disney themes/songs in my Movies folder.

Briallan
Officer

I want to say, "Go for it, dude!" but -- I think the potential problem is that stuff in the dropboxes can change, like, for example, I have  a particular ABC, but then I replace it with something of the same name, but now it has 6 instead of 7 parts, and part 1 is now clarinet instead of horn. Such a change might be missed if we do things by hand.

What would be the cool is to have a program that would take as input a dropbox location, recurse thru all the subfolders, and parse thru each ABC to pull the instruments and parts out of it and put it all in a table. You could either run it on your local files (easy to do as a java or C# progam), or possibly run it right off the internet location – there is a dropbox API forum (which I haven’t read yet), which might have some APIs for recursing thru the online dropbox folders.

We could run it once a week or so, maybe even just make it as windows task that runs every N hours. It wouldn’t be CONCEPTUALLY hard to write such a program since the ABCs are just text. But … it would still take some time to write. I could theoretically do it when I have some spare time over XMAS, but I probably won’t have time to do it before then (finals and end-of-quarter projects are coming up…)

Ice Weasel

Yeah, that's the problem with the idea: Version control. If we can't rely on the list being accurate, we'd have to double check every file anyway... hmm.

I can do your stuff, Silth, no troubles. But... Bri has an excellent point about all that. 

We need some sort of flag to know when something is changed, for the manual system to work well.   Bri, if that sort of programming thing is something you want to do, I'd say go for it, when you have time. Even if we don't have the final result for a long time, it would be a great tool to have whenever we can use it.  I used to run a batch file (they don't call them that, anymore, do they?) to make a text file of directory contents (including subs), then parse that text file into a CSV format for a database. But nothing that actually parsed the files themselves.   

Ultimately, I'd love to have a "catalog" of all the ABCs we come up with.  No big rush, and we can live without it, but it sure would be convenient! 

Ice Weasel

Siltharan's Songs Catalog now complete (as of today's Dropbox contents).

to view/edit.

Siltharan
Officer

Added tonight:

Holiday folder, sleighride.abc (Sleigh Ride)

Holiday folder, rudolph.abc (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)

Ice Weasel

Not seeing Sleighride or Rudolph, Silth. 

When I open your Holiday folder, I see 3 songs: Noel, Sarajevo and Weneed1.

Siltharan
Officer

XD Forgot the intermediate step: Actually upload said creations. It's been too long!

Briallan
Officer

Added six songs to my dropbox - they are in the Yuletide folder:

Carol of the Bells - very string heavy, to approximate the sound envelope of bells

Hallelujah Chorus - double bagpipes! quite orchestral-sounding, if I do say so myself :)

Here we come a Wassailing - quick 2-parter; maybe we can use as a quick intro for the rest of the concert

The Holly and the Ivy

O Holy Night

Sevivon (a Hanukkah song)

What Child is This -- hmm, sounds a bit like ... hmm some other song I know....

So far, most of my songs are 6-parters.

Another thing I have noticed is that I've been able to find a bunch of jazz/rock versions of traditional songs which seem kind of cool (to me anyway) -- we might consider doing a second concert of just non-traditional arrangements of holiday songs -- some people might want to hear something "different" (and some people might not); I'm sure some other bands will be doing traditional yuletide stuff as well as us.

Siltharan
Officer

I've also seen some medleys of Christmas tunes. Might be interesting to fit them in, too. :)

A note on Carol of the Bells: I think my Christmas Eve/Sarajevo arrangement uses that song. But it's a TSO rock type song. :)

Also another note: I may end up editing my Sarajevo piece. Not sure if the bagpipes in place of a lute would be too much.... But I like the more powerful guitar-ish sound. ...And I may chop the ending off slightly. I'm feeling like a perfectionist tonight. :P

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: