View previous topic :: View next topic  
Briallan
Officer

re: Introductions

Hello Everyone! As Siltharan mentioned earlier in the news section, now that we’ve gotten the kin structure more or less finalized, some introductions are in order.  I’ve also created an OOC (Out of Character) forum and I’m hoping that people will use it to share info about their interests and lives and help build our community.

So, to introduce myself a little, I live in the misty lowlands of the beautiful Pacific Northwest, not far from Seattle. I’m a college sophomore, and go to a local commuter college, so I live at home with the parental units (unlike my smarter older siblings). Don’t have a major yet, but am taking mostly computer science and art courses. I also love music, but am too lazy (busy?) to practice much so I’m not really much of a musician in real life.

Since I’m the baby of the family, I’m probably a little spoiled, and I have some annoying habits, the main one prolly being that I get quite manic and hyperactive at times. In part, this is because I try to accomplish all my school programming and art projects, LOTRO activities and RL social life by basically not sleeping very much, which I manage by having a constantly high dose of caffeine in my bloodstream at all times. So, if I do something annoying in the game, like jumping up and down on your stomach while you’re trying to lie down (sorry, Balangorn!),  I really respond well to requests such as “Can you please just stand still and shut up for five minutes?”  -- ‘cause I get that a lot at home J.

My goal in life:

bAd AsS

Fact most people don’t know about me: My dad is the one who actually got me interested in LOTRO. I’m sort of interested in the computer game industry since I love art and computers, and he heard about this course and thought it might be interesting for me to take. We actually played together a bit before the course actually started (on Withywindle ), but he got too busy to continue.

I’d have to say my favorite part of LOTRO is the music system, since I think it’s so cool to be able to actually create game content in the form of music arrangements. I like all the other parts I’ve tried as well, but I have been a little busy with school lately, and haven’t been able to get around to levelling up much and experiencing many of the more advanced features of the game yet.

Anyway, I’m very happy to be involved with the Courserrim and our extended family of kinships.  This is my first MMO, and I don’t play other computer games much at all, so I really feel my lack of experience in this area. I’m very thankful that I’ve been able to rely on the other more experienced players for help and advice in making our community function and grow.

As for as a vision for the kinship future, I don't have any particular agenda as to where I feel the community should be heading. I try to make myself aware of what interests the community members have (via chatting in-game, viewing forum posts, etc.), and try to create opportunities to facilitate that kind of activity. I also check out what other kins are doing, and am trying to learn more about the more advanced features of LOTRO. One thing I do want to do in the near future is to recruit more "like-minded" people into the kin, as I have found that the more people that are involved in a community, the easier it is to find people who are interested in the same particular activities that you are, whether it is creeping, role-playing, questing at a particular level, or playing in a band.

Last edited by Briallan on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Siltharan
Officer

First of all, thanks to Bri for making this thread (and the forum itself) and starting things off with a bang!

I suppose I can try to follow in a similar vein for my own introduction, so, from a person who typically doesn't go so in-depth about himself, here goes, I guess:

I hail from the Midwest, Wisconsin specifically, and not far from Milwaukee. College graduate, UW-Madison '08 (BA Poli Sci, Certificate in Environmental Studies), Penn State (2010-2011, post-bacca. certificate in Geographic Information Systems). A bit of a lost soul in the job world, as in my final semester at UW-Madison, I got an internship through an Environmental Studies capstone course with the Dept. of Natural Resources in the GIS field (specifically Endangered Resource Review... mapping out potential projects and sending them off to biologists/animal experts to determine potential endangered animal/habitat impact). I've always loved computers and technology, and I found the most popular GIS program suite (ArcGIS) fun to mess around with and easy to operate.

However, considering my major, I wasn't able to show I had the experience to gain a related job... And the DNR was in a hiring freeze once I graduated, so I put in apps elsewhere. No luck. GIS certificate to get more experience through Penn State online, and no luck. Now currently working in retail to gain money, buy a car (Also living with the parental unit at this point, like Bri, though more embarrassingly so considering my age... 27), and move somewhere else and find employment there.

Music connections: Band throughout middle school and high school. Percussion for 1 year, baritone for 2 years, tuba for 1 in MS... Then tuba throughout HS. Dabbled in guitar, never really did much with it, can't really play. Tuba for a couple semesters in college as well.

Interesting fact: Ankle surgery when I was 4 to correct a flat foot. While in a cast, my dad (who passed away in 1998 from colon cancer) bought me the Nintendo Entertainment System (aka NES). What a poor decision. ;) Then came Sega Genesis, SNES... and my first foray into RPGs. FF3 and EarthBound were both lent to me by a classmate of my dad's while he was earning his masters' degree. You couldn't believe how sad I was when I had to give the games back! Can't tell you how many times I rented EarthBound from Blockbuster. The awesome lady there even included the famed strategy guide for me! Eventually I was gifted those games, as well as others... And I've spent... well, way too much money on gaming overall. ;)

My favorite part of LOTRO: Well, as of late I haven't been all that active in anything else except for music. I think I got more enjoyment out of the "DO ALL THE QUESTS!" idea once I got the XP disabler, as around that time I was participating in MANY instances related to the course. The music system is quite fun, and if I had a chance to talk to the guy who created it on a whim, I would try to get him to put in more instruments... Something more suitable to a piano, and possibly even vocals. ;)

My vision for Courserrim: I hope we as a kin can become even more active in the forums and in creating events to participate in. We're trying to make our way through the lull after the course where the people who are truly serious about continuing to play stick around, and the others slowly drift off. Once we start recruiting and/or gathering members via the second course offering, I hope my slightly obsessive-worrying self can stop being that way and let things just flow naturally. Lesson from this vision: Talk on the forums... Please? :)

Jestro/Pinestro/knifesedge
Officer

Pinestro here! My account name is Jestro as that is my main character on my main server of Windfola (a Pin is in fact a cousin of Jestro's) I am the leader of a Kinship on Windfola, Defenders of the Right, so now the course is over, I have commitments there, so although I don't plan to abandon Landroval completely you might see a little less of me when Helm's Deep arrives.

In the real world I am a former Chef-turned-Restaurant Manager and now full time dad to a little two year old hobbit who rules my life. I live just outside London, but keep odd hours which match my American cousins 

In my spare time, when I'm not gaming, I edit reviews for the British Fantasy Society and have just started my own blog dedicated to covering news of the Indie Horror publishing world www.indiehorrorblog.blogspot.com where I intend to post whenever I hear about freebies for those that use kindles, so keep an eye on it if you like that kind of thing. I also have a gaming blog http://knifesedgemmo.blogspot.co.uk/ that talks about my experiences in games, MMO and otherwise.

I also used to run a ton of RPGs by email under the banners of Knifesedge Games but this has slowed down so now just run one game set in the 1920's era of Call of Cthulhu.

If you want to get hold of me out of game, your best bet is either through Steam (my username is knifesedgegames) or via Twitter @jestrosneak

Pinestro

Pinestro 100 Warden

Diaspora 100 Captain

Pinhealer Approaching 100 Minstrel

and many others...
Mirubea

Hi! My main (and only) is Miruwyn. I live in the far northeastern US and I started playing LOTRO a bit over a year ago because my kids were playing it. They don't play much any more but I got hooked. I am a big fan of Tolkien anyway and just love making the connections in game with the story.

I play a couple of other MMORPGs currently, one of which consumes much of my time, which is why I am sporadically on LOTRO. But that doesn't mean I love it any less!

My favorite part of MMOs is the people one meets. I enjoy the social aspect of the game and will gladly help out or participate in pretty much any in-game activity just for the enjoyment of the company.

I'm currently between jobs (on purpose) and enjoying life. After mid-winter I will have more time available to play LOTRO and am hoping to see about joining into the fellowship band. Maybe. Unless I have too much fun being in the audience between now and then! ;)

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> OOC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: