Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Coursehood and Kin Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Siltharan
Officer

re: Kinship House

I hardly if ever use the bank, especially in the housing area. Won't be too big of a problem for me. Think I'll check out the dwarf area today or tomorrow. Just about sold on a dwarf dwelling, thanks to you guys :P

Syene
Severin.

Hi! So glad I found this thread, thanks to the handy link by Silth at log in. I'm also throwing in my vote for dwarven housing. Here's some info:

The best kin house there costs a couple more gold than the other kin houses, but it opens to the sky, unlike the others. It's located at 5 Roaring Road:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphouseprices_zpsd57e4322.jpg

Here's a map of Thorin's Hall Homesteads with my red arrow at 5 Roaring Road. The house directly north of there happens to be mine (if you're in the Trugorth neighborhood) and the one off Frothing Road on an island is our very own Errismanta's house. Mine is always open to anyone (address: 6 Roaring Road, Trugorth). Not sure about Errismanta's, but I bet if you ask nicely, she'll let you in. :D

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphouse5RoaringRoadmap_zpsf469e412.jpg

For those of you with elves, here's a pic showing my minstrel (elf), Brunraen, in an interior doorway of a dwarven kin house. As you see, there's enough headroom for even the tallest elf. I'm elf-centric myself, and ceiling/doorway height was a concern:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphouseheadroomforeventhetallestelf_zps43e5bd2d.jpg

The stablemaster has these routes:

photo ThorinsHallstablemaster_zpsaf2a7cc9.jpg

Once outside the homestead, you can see Thorin's Gate. Just follow the path, go by the stable master, and up the stairs. Inside there's an AH, vault, and crafting areas:

photo ThorinsHallclosetoThorinsGate_zps85de7413.jpg

Syene
Severin.

For those who don't want to make the trip over, but are wondering about how it all looks:

Exterior:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphouse5RoaringRoad_zps353a8bd0.jpg

Foyer/Entry room:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphousefoyer_zps75d349c9.jpg

Gigantanormous Main Hall:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphousemainhall_zpsbca2900f.jpg

Room off main hall leading to stairs:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphouseroomoffmainhallleadingtostairs_zps08b6e295.jpg

Landing to upper floor:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphouselandingtoupperfloor_zpsf9f8f06f.jpg

Second landing:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphousesecondlanding_zps4c491214.jpg

Upper room:

photo ThorinsHallkinshiphouseupperroom_zpsc39e5772.jpg

And, just for fun, looking down at the roof of my house:

photo ThorinsHallmyroof_zps5501196d.jpg

That's about it! 

Siltharan
Officer

Anyone else willing to post picture of your favorite kinship house in other locations? Or any other input? If not, we'll think about putting up the vote... Possibly at the end of the month, and leave it up for a week.

Duiloras

The dwarf area seemed ridiculously remote to me when I finally found it, but I learned through an in-game discussion that one of the major selling points for more advanced players is the availability of "swift travel". I'll have to try that out myself this weekend.

It's really quite a long way from Archet, though, so perhaps we should look at how to help newbies find their way around. Would we be willing to provide them bus (horse) fare to get around if they're really new? A silver or 10 doesn't phase me now, but it sure did when I was starting.

Ice Weasel

One thing to consider is that every member of the kin will gain a new skill, allowing instant teleport to the kin house, wherever it is. All members get the skill when the house is purchased, and characters that join the kin after the purchase will get the skill upon joining the kin (recruitment by an officer followed by acceptance).

So, distances don't really matter all that much, going to the house; the proximity of the stable only matters when leaving the house for other places. 

The cooldown is, I think one hour (maybe half-hour, or that may be with the "Hurried Traveler" trait from the store), but it is NOT shared with other travel skills. That means you could use your Kin House teleport, a minute later use a Milestone travel skill, and then a Racial or Reputation "Return to..." skill, one-two-three. Very handy.

If you, as a player, ever buy a "personal house" for one of your characters, all of your characters get a similar teleport skill for that house, as well. 

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Duiloras

In the first few levels, I used the kin house as an exit from a bad situation (finding myself in the Old Forest and severely outranked by the beasts). Once I got to the kin house, though, I didn't have riding skill or a horse, so it was shank's mare to get back to town...which took me a while to even find. You can't use milestones or other travel in the early levels, either. Kinhouse was the only one that worked. Eventually I got the riding skill and my first horse, but I wasn't up for spending money on rental horses (or swift travel). To answer my own question, I would be willing to give coins to newbies finding themselves at Thorin's Gate with a full list of Bree quests they wanted to get back to finish.

Syene
Severin.

Upon Duilora's concern, I move that the Kin offer silver for travel to Bree to any low level that finds themselves trapped on foot and penniless in whichever neighborhood we choose, be it Hobbit, Elf, Man, or Dwarven.

Jestro/Pinestro/knifesedge
Officer

re: The Shire!

My advise on this subject will always be the Shire. Ports to Bree and Thorins are easy to come by but not so for the Shire, so having that Travel to Kinship House taking you to the Shire is actually worthwhile, not to mention its a short jog to the Michel Delving Race course for the festivals. Oh and of course, as a Hobbit, there's only one place to live :)

Pinestro 100 Warden

Diaspora 100 Captain

Pinhealer Approaching 100 Minstrel

and many others...
Briallan
Officer

Thanks everyone for the spirited and knowledgeable arguments in favor of the various homestead areas! I agree with the thoughts expressed that new kin members with low-level characters should get financial assistance for swift travel -- in fact, I think that this should just be part of financial assistance for new players -- my starting characters were given one or more gold by more experienced players when I first started, and found it very helpful not to have to worry about cash in the early stages of leveling up. We might consider doing something like that from the general kinship bank account.

Anyway, as Silth said recently in this thread, it's getting near time for the actual vote. Let's wait another day to give anyone a last opportunity to offer impassioned last-minute arguments or rebuttals, and then we'll put up the poll sometime tomorrow (Sunday).

Mirubea

I get lost in the dwarf housing area, haha, but I think the access to services does make sense. My aesthetic preference is for the Shire. And I will be happy to send along some gold toward the purchase.

Angaric

Etwulf likes the dwarf area for the crafting. Isenardson loves the nice views in the shire.

Raventrick

re: Housing

Sounds like dwarf housing is the most popular! I have no preference.

Trower

Just wanted to make a comment regarding monetary assistance and travel help. 

As much as I endorse helping newcomers or veterans alike, hand holding through some of the more basic, albeit tedious aspects of the game, takes a lot of the wonder  out of the experience. At least for me.

Making enough money for basic travel is easy enough and getting lost or having to RUN  to the Shire for a quest or event is a major part of the fun. The whole stop and smell the roses kind of thing.

Briallan
Officer

Well, that's a good point Trower. Thinking back, I didn't actually NEED or even use the gold I was given. My main goal back then was to get a horse as quick as possible since it took so long to get anywhere and I'm was an impatient person (well, still am...), but I got one soon enough without anyone's help.

I think the thing that impressed me most about my original experience was that the more experienced players were WILLING to help me out in whatever issues I was having a problem with, whether it was crafting crit armor and weapons for me, taking the time to show me how to do stuff, or accompanying me on quests that I was having trouble doing myself. Also, it's likely that not all newbies will be the same: some will appreciate a lot of help, many will not want any help unless they really get stuck.

So, maybe we should approach this by not providing assistance automatically, but wait until we are asked -- though we should let new players know what kinds of general assistance we provide upon request -- things like:

• travel money reimbursement to and from kinhouse
  • free equipment crafted by kinmembers (and sometimes by members of our associated kins)
  • free use of items in kinship chests
  • quest companions (higher level, or on-level - I plan to keep at least a few lower-level characters around specifically to fellow up with new players)
  • instrument mentoring (if they're into that)
  • mostly-useful advice :)

Of course, all of the above depends on availability -- materials for making crit armor may not be immediately available for example, and sometimes the best person to help out just isn't in-game when you "need" them. And, of course, many individual situations will come up that aren't on this list, and individual kin members can decide how to approach that.

They don't have to request ANY help if they want to do it all themselves, for example, and maybe only want to join a kin for the companionship aspect.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Coursehood and Kin Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: