Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Coursehood and Kin Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Albertine_Courserrim

re: Kin Chests

So now we have a kin house, I was wondering what peoples' views were about the kin chests.

I tend to pick up crafting scrolls and mats for other vocations when I'm out on quests and so far I've been trying to find kinmates to send them to. But, I'm wondering whether it might be better to just drop them in the kin chest.

From a subjective point of view, here are what I think are the pros and cons of doing this:

Pros- I have to go to/past the kinhouse to see my craft guild anyway so convenient to drop stuff there

- Less time & postage money spent trying to find people who need mats who are online when I am so I know that, and then finding a mailbox and posting them to them

- Means I don't have to worry about multiple people who need same mats being left out or having to carefully divide up stuff so I don't feel like I'm favouring one person over other kinmates

Cons

- Limited slots in storage - would they fill up too quickly?

- Would it be irritating to other kin members to have to sift through irrelevant/stuff that's too high/low level mats

- Would other people who usually sell mats feel under undue pressure to do the same?

What does everyone else think?

Briallan
Officer

At this point, the chest is already full, thanks to everyone's generous contributions. We have only 45 slots total -- the next 15 will cost us 125 gold, and the 15 after that will cost us 100 mithril, so we probably will not be expanding storage anytime soon, as our treasury I believe is about 20g.

To directly answer Albertine's question, I believe the criteria for whether to put something into the chests is this: do you have good reason to believe that someone in the kin could use this stuff, and it's not easy for them to get it by themselves?

For example, even if an item is fairly rare or expensive (like trophies), but everyone has all they need, there is no point keeping them in the chest.

However, even stuff that is fairly cheap and plentiful can be useful additions to the chest if some people have a hard time getting it. For example, someone who has a weaponsmith, but does not have an alt who is an explorer, is likely to be looking for wood, and that would be a good thing to put in the chest if you know (from chat, or posts) that there are people like that, but it's not convenient to mail it for whatever reason.

The more we know about each other's characters, the better we can make those decisions. Also, no one should feel any pressure to put things in the chest -- you should always feel free to use or sell anything that comes into your possession during your travels.

Currently, the bulk of kinhouse storage is taken up by fairly valuable trophies for the various level 45 and 50 classes. These currently take up 38 of the 45 available spaces. I would like to keep these items in the chest for awhile to give anyone who is at (or near) that range an opportunity to take these items. However, we will drastically prune these items after some time has passed, since they only benefit people with characters in that range, and take up space we could use to diversify beyond trophies into other types of stuff: crafting materials, food (we have some there now -- if you are hungry, please stop buy and help yourself!), weapons, armor, rare-ish travel items

So, anyone who needs these trophies, please grab them within the next week or so! -- at that point, I or other officers will probably take and sell a good portion of it at auction or whatever, so we can store other types of stuff in the chests as well -- it will still benefit the kin, since the sales proceeds will go to the kin treasury! Since I will assume that anyone who anticipates needing them will have already gotten them by then. For example, if you are a 40 level burglar and think you might want those class items in the next month or so, grab it now!

I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this issue, particularly the more experienced players who have been in kins awhile and have seen how the kin storage works well, or not well, as the case may be.

EDITED: Dec. 15

Siltharan
Officer

Yes, we'd definitely welcome input from those in other kins so we can figure out a good policy for maintaining our chests. As I haven't actively leveled lately, I feel sort of awkward taking the hunter items from the chest as a lvl 35, but I might if nobody else does...

Briallan
Officer

Take Them! It will free up room in the chests for other stuff -- really, you will use it at some point, so it's there for YOU! :)

Trower

I recommend setting the motd indicating those items exist and will be purged in 3 days or so. They're not that difficult to re-obtain when folks actually need them. Thanks to the group that donated though.

I also recommend setting a purge day each week where all items, with exception, are sold off with proceeds going to the house fund. The will create a good turn over of items and once peeps get used to the schedule they won't feel so guilty taking something. Thursday or Friday probably the best day to get the best AH exposure.

I would also limit equipment donations to purple or teal items. Any mats are always in demand

Briallan
Officer

I like Trower's idea. If something hangs around for a week without someone taking it, it is good evidence that no one needed it (or has already taken as much of it as they needed).

I would propose that we purge everything once a week with these exceptions: if the officer purging the chest that week decides some item should stay, or if we get a request from any member to leave something particular in the chest.

I will make this thread sticky, and we can communicate any issues relating to chest management here.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will do the first purge this Friday, Dec. 20 - its on the calendar!

Mirubea

Agreed with Trower's idea also. Thanks for all the effort on this topic!

Siltharan
Officer

Thanks for volunteering, Bri. Just send the proceeds from the AH to Lampedas when you're done with the purge. I haven't done much with the AH, so I'm not too sure about pricing and such, so I'll leave that to the other officers. :)

Albertine_Courserrim

I agree with Trower's chest idea too - it means that we can hopefully get a good mix of items coming through, which will be useful if we do get another influx of new people with the next iteration of the course.

Briallan
Officer

Reminder: I will be purging kin chests tomorrow 4PM server time and selling contents at auction for benefit of kin treasury, so if want stuff in there, please get it before then.

Briallan
Officer

kinhouse chests now pretty much empty -- we have space for more stuff! As discussed earlier in this thread, crafting materials are typically in demand, and would be most welcome!

Albertine_Courserrim

I put some Tier 3 & 4 mats for cooks, tailors/foresters and jewellers in the chest earlier - go grab it while you can!

Briallan
Officer

Isenardson has put some more 50lvl class items in the chests, so we are now pretty fill again. I will purge this week again on Friday, so get these class items or Albertine's mats by then if you haven't already!

EDIT: actually, now that we've expanded storage to 60 slots we are just over 2/3 full. Still, I think it's a good idea to do at least a partial purge on a weekly basis. I will be tending to be purging stuff that seems unlikely to move on it's own, but I might well be leaving stuff that I'm pretty sure someone wants/needs/could use but maybe hasn't got around to checking out yet (for example, stuff that may have been added fairly soon before the purge). Nonetheless, nothing is guaranteed to stay past Friday, so you should still pick up anything you need before Friday afternoon (see calendar for details).

Briallan
Officer

The chest at the kinhouse currently has 68/75 slots full. Mostly, there are:

• crafting materials (33 slots full)
  • weapons
  • cosumables, and
  • house décor items

I have not been selling off much stuff from the chest since the chest never seems to get quite full .. it seems like some stuff is moving but some stuff has been there several weeks with no takers -- I will probably sell some the non-moving stuff off if it's still there towards the end of this week.

Briallan
Officer

Kinhouse chest is nearly full (68 of 75 possible item). Some of this stuff has been hanging around for a LONG time, so I will soon set a date for removing many items and selling them at auction if people don't take enough stuff out of it in the next few days. Please visit the kinhouse and see if there is something there you can use, either now or for the future!!!!

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Coursehood and Kin Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: