Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Siltharan
Officer

re: Winterstock details for Sunday and Monday

Bri, what songs are we actually playing on, and what parts, for LBC's sets?

Briallan
Officer

Well, our first appearance at Winterstock went really well -- we mangled our first song but the rest of it went perfectly lol.

Also, if someone asked me a question today and I ingored you, I apologize -- lots of chat traffic tonite on many channels....

I am expecting the following people to be present tomorrow:

Krokhur, Siltharan, Hobbelion, Hobbedoc, Ashigaru Trecalia, Raventrick, Briallan, Delphyfer. We have six and seven part songs -- yesterday Hobbedoc got to shine, but tomorrow he is "in reserve" and Hobbelion gets his day in the sun (well, it may be night when we play, so maybe he gets his night in the moonlight lol).

Also,

So here is a short list of miscellaneous things I thought we could do to make the show go smoothly tomorrow. Some of these things are things that various people have suggested earlier but I just didn't get around to implementing yet:

• If you are on this list of people expected to play, you and can't make it tomorrow, please let me know somehow (on this thread? PM me? message me on FB?) so that I can make adjustments.
  • Please check the general list of who can play what instrument and make corrections as needed. I have a bad habit of assigning people to play instruments they can't play and this might help me a bit.
  • We should have only ONE person hit "start synchronized playing" -- I will do that for tomorrow's show. If there is some reason I can't hit sync (songbook freeze?), I will specifically ask some particular person to do it on raid chat.
  • check the list of who is supposed to play what part in the file gallery, and make sure you actually have those instruments, and let me know ASAP if I have scheduled you to play something you can't play (I have a bad habit of doing that.... or did I mention that already?)
  • when you are in the assembly area, try to start playing some song to see if you're songbook is working, and if you have the songs you think you are supposed to have in your songbook -- first song for tomorrow is "01 - cold as ice"
  • make sure -- REALLY sure -- you're cursor is in the chat window if you are going to type chat comments while you are playing music :) we all know why lol
  • if your songbook freezes up during a concert, the best way to fix it is to reload the songbook -- as I found out tonite while playing with LBC, reloading the songbook does NOT cause you to stop playing music, so you can even do this while you are playing. The quickest way to reload the songbook is to put shortcuts on your quickslot bar so all you need to do is click, no need to type any commands. See this thread for how to do that
  • when we set up to play, please take a look at where you are standing -- if you are not standing next to the rest of us, please move so you are! LOTRO music only travels so far and standing far apart causes weird effects. Yes, I know I do this too! Believe me, I am reading my own suggestions and plan on acting on them!
  • we should sync the parts for the next song up WHILE we are playing the current one, so we can go right into the next song (though obviously we need to take time out to change instruments and do announcements, but this makes it quicker); this doesn't make you stop playing the current song -- Hobbs suggested this earlier, and I noticed that LBC was doing this when we played with them tonight.
  • Please consider showing up 30 minutes before the concert starts -- it starts at 8PM EST tomorrow, so please be in the assembly area at 730PM EST. Often there are details we need to work out at the last minute, so it helps if everyone is there when we do that. Also if someone isn't there by that point (or hasn't messaged that they will be a bit late) it gives us time to figure out how we will make substitutions.

Sounds like a lot of "rules" huh? Well, I'm not really suggesting that we do more stuff than we are doing now, it's just that we could do the stuff we already do in a smoother way that makes for a better audience experience. Well, OK, being there 1/2 hour early prolly crimps some people's work life or lifestyle, so just consider that a suggestion but please try anyway it will make me so happy you wouldn't believe it.

OK haha I put the link to Monday's songs at the end so you'd have to read everything else I wrote first unless u r the sneaky type and looked here first. The list of who plays which part is up in the file gallery as setlist winterstock Monday.xslx -- should be the only file there.

We should have an awesome show tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing y'all there!

Last edited by Briallan on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:36 am; edited 5 times in total

Ice Weasel

Here is my announcement patter for Monday.  Note that if anyone wants changes, I can do that, up until before we go on.   Sooner the better, though. I'm posting here mostly so people can see the flow.

ERED LUIN.... ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?!

We are The Remediators!

There is one sure cure for chilly weather... Dancing!

So, UP! Up on your feet!  

Because this is Winterstock and it's...

COLD

AS

ICE!

Hit it!

((Play Cold As Ice followed immediately by Hurts So Good))

That was "Hurts So Good" by a certain John the Cougar, of Mellencamp. 

Now...

/look

Anyone seen me ale?  I swear, it's thirsty work up here, and losing me tankard is like "Losing My Religion"...

Of course, finding it again would let me "Have a Nice Day".

(( Play Losing My Religion, immediately follow with Have a Nice Day))

On a serious note, today in another world, many pay homage to one man, who had a dream.

His dream was not for himself, but for the brotherhood of man, to find peace, and equality.

Fairness is all he asked for, even as he was martyred. 

He preached as he did out of "Pride", "In the Name of Love". 

((Play Pride followed immediately by Sweet Child o'Mine))

All children are precious, but that was "Sweet Child o'Mine".

Where do we go now? 

Oh! Right... 

/drink

Some may be familiar with the happenings at the Lonely Mountain, and in nearby Laketown, some years gone. 

If or if not, may it please you, here is our own ballad telling the tale:

For the First Time In Public!

"Smaug O'er the Water"!

((Play Smoke on the Water ... I'll be doing lyrics... then pause for))

Here's a little ditty about a gal who lives near the Scholar's Walk in Bree-town. She's an "Uptown Girl".

((Play Uptown Girl))

And now, for a tune about a place that makes the Forsaken Inn look like a great vacation destination:

"Hotel California"!

((Play Hotel California then pause for:))

Here are a couple of songs that ought never come in contact in truth:

"Crazy" and "Grenade"!

((Play Crazy followed immediately by Grenade, then pause for:))

We would love to stay and play longer, but aside from needing to turn the stage over to the next group, most of us have been drinking ale all night.

And so, while you've been lovely, our departure is becoming "Urgent"!

((Play Urgent, then pause for:))

Ladies and Gents, we are going to invite you to participate in the next and final number. 

If you have fireworks to hand, please hold them until we say "LIGHT EM UP!". 

When we do, everyone else can give a good ./Roar! 

That ought to shake some snow off the trees!

This is a stirring march from John Phillip of Sousa!

Wait for your part, now... you can dance meantime.

((Play Stars and Stripes Forever... during the final bit, I will announce:))

Okay, get ready, fireworks and roars!

Here it comes!

LIGHT EM UP!

ROAR!

((When the mayhem happens, and the music ends, do a /roar, then your bows and so on... I'll wrap up with:))

Thank you very much! 

Once again, we are The Remediators!

We're available for your functions, contact us for details!

Send a post locally to Krohkur, Briallan or Siltharan..

Or In Other Realms at  lotro.remediators@gmail.com

Some of us play for ale, others insist on things like food or coin.

Hopefully, we've danced a bit of ice off the pond, warmed your heart and your feet!

And here is thanking the Lonely Mountain Band and organizers for a wonderful event!

Viva Winterstock!

Last edited by Ice Weasel on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 4 times in total

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Siltharan
Officer

First of all... Mellencamp. ;) (Typo)

Second, I deleted my name from Drums in the "Who plays what" list, but that wasn't an issue for this setlist anyway.

Third... I can't wait!

Ice Weasel

Not sure what typo you mean, Silth... 

(fixed. good catch!) 

Hobbelion

Actually for Pride, I would like you to mention something about Martin Luther King Jr. given that this is the holiday. Pride was written about him! Gives me goosebumps to play a remediation of this song on his holiday (his birthday was on 15th).

If you need help with the language, I would be willing to help.

Ice Weasel

Cool!  I never knew that about the song. 

Let me see what I can come up with over lunch, I'll fly it past you here (and help no doubt). ;-)

Ice Weasel

Okay, I've adjusted it again. New changes above in bold.

Does that work, Hobbs?

Doing a bit more looking about on the songs histories, I learned it's a small world for musicians (as if we didn't know). Check out this bit for "Sweet Child of Mine", given our recent tribute concert:

The "Sweet Child o' Mine" video depicts the band rehearsing in the Huntington Ballroom at Huntington Beach, surrounded by crew members. All of the band members' girlfriends at the time were shown in the clip. Rose was dating Erin Everly at the time, whose father was Don Everly of The Everly Brothers fame.

Hobbelion

Very nice! Thank you for that, Krokh.

The lyrics to Pride in case any of you never read it before. In our remediation, the clarinet is the voice (Bono) so you can follow it.

One man come in the name of love
One man come and go
One man come here to justify
One man to overthrow
In the name of love!
One man in the name of love
In the name of love!
What more? In the name of love!

One man caught on a barbed wire fence
One man he resists
One man washed on an empty beach
One man betrayed with a kiss

In the name of love!
What more in the name of love?
In the name of love!
What more? In the name of love!

...nobody like you...there's nobody like you...

Mmm...mmm...mmm...
Early morning, April 4
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride

In the name of love!
In the name of love!
In the name of love!
What more in the name of love...

Ice Weasel

Read those while working out that change.  Powerful stuff. 

Even the Wikipedia article on the song has some interesting stuff about it. How it was born out of the contrasts in biographies of MLK and Malcolm X. One sought change through peace and love, the other through violence and upheaval. Both had the same goal, really. Fascinating. (Now I want to read the biographies in question again... not sure what the Malcolm X one was, but I can research that.)

Interesting too, that Bono thought the song unfinished, but Eno and the rest pushed to leave it as is, like an abstract painting, singing emotion not literal story. 

Thanks, Hobbs!  I might have missed this connection for a lot MORE years. 

Ice Weasel

Did we decide the white outfits are still good, or do I need to distribute some dye?

Checked timings on the Smaug lyric and the cue to fire rockets and roar at the end. All checks out. Stop watch ready, lute tuned, tankard filled, drained, filled, drained, filled.. good to go!

Briallan
Officer

Lets not go with last minute changes in the outfits -- there is too much stuff that happens at the last minute to add more issue -- we can rethink for next year -- hoping someone takes a screenshot to see that it all looks like when we are standing against the snow, but it seemed to work
OK yesterday/

Really cool about Pride though, what a coincidence huh?

Briallan
Officer

Well that was TOTALLY AWESOME tonite. We fine-tuned our operation between last night and tonite, and everything went really smoothly. We played over 50 minutes of music in our 1 hour time slot and didn't run over. No false starts and no dropped instruments! We really got great audience response to our stuff as well, including the debut of "Smaug O'er the Water," with original lyrics by Krokhur (to the tune of Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water).

I'd also like to take this opportunity to welcome two new band members: the Lady Ashigaru Trecalia (whose razor-sharp accounting skills helped us keep on track when syncing up the next song) and the inimitiable Delphyfer, who made his first appearance playing with the band ... at Winterstock (like, no pressure or anything lol).

I had Ringolion take some pictures of the events, and I will post them on this thread later tonite.

Briallan
Officer

re: Winterstock in Pictures

On Sunday afternoon, Krokhur made an appearance with the Starlight Orchestra -- this is a new band that plans to do classical music performances, and is made of musicians who also appear in other bands -- if you can't tell, Krokhur is playing horn stage-right.

Here I am with my minstrel alts at the kinhouse after getting dressed and ready to head down to Sunday night's appearance as guests of Les Beaux Chapeaux (left to right - front row: Siggarek and Radgallac; back row: Andilras, Ringolion, me and Brytford). We got one of our dwarf neighbors who was passing by to take a picture of us. Nice outfits huh?

Here are the Remediators playing our main show Monday night -- Ringo wasn't too busy now that we have more band members, so she was checking out the show from the audience. Band Members (left to right, front row: Krokhur and Delphyfer; back row: Hobbelion, Raventrick, Briallan, Lady Ashigaru and Siltharan)

The Monday night finale as the festival ends with a set by Old Vinyards (they are one of the bands in the Lonely Mountain Band kinship). Krokur and I are in the center foreground, and that's Lady Ashigaru in Evendim Blue on the left doing her air-drumming routine. The stage area has mostly been destroyed by firework malfunctions by now -- glad no one got hurt!

The post-party is still going long into the night, but time for me to collect my horse and head home after an eventful weekend...

Last edited by Briallan on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ashigaru Trecalia

NOW I see why you were asking me about what they were doing. Only one problem...that wasn't me.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: