Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ice Weasel

re: Sunday Meetup 1/26/2014

I'm still putting together a folder of stuff to try this Sunday, focus on the Valentines concert (which... we need to find a good date for. Lots of bands playing in and around the day.)

If anyone has anything they want to include this Sunday, let me know (and give me a link) soon, so I can get it included.

We'll meet up at the House of the Courserrim Sunday at 9pm Servertime.

Folder is in my dropbox, named "MeetUp 1-26-14".  Kohkur's Dropbox

Ice Weasel

Okay, here's my concept for the Valentines concert. 

The Remediator's Valentines Sock Hop!

We could do it at the Kin house, or the big auditorium space in the housing area, or... well, I'm kind of stuck thinking of the where part.

The concert would have about an hour of music, with pauses and switching, budget an hour and a quarter, maybe.  

Check the set list... I did list some things that may not be ready. Let me know if you (the remediator) want to pull a song, and we can drop it from the list. 

Also, if anyone has songs they want to do, let me know and we can look at including it (or them).

Here is the concept:

Part 1: Finding Romance

• Accidentally In Love (Dend) 3:08 - 6 parts
  • Bus Stop (Bri) 3:07 - 6 parts
  • Happy Together (Bri) 3:26 - 6 parts
  • Can't Hurry Love (Kroh) 3:21 - 7 parts 
  • Please, Mr. Postman (Kroh) 2:43 - 6 parts
  • Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Kroh) 2:45 - 6 parts
  • I Feel For You (Kroh) 5:54 - 8 parts

((Section time: 24:24 ))

Part 2: Together!

• Just Called (Kroh) 4:14 - 7 parts
  • Killing Me Softly (Kroh) 4:51 - 6 parts
  • My Girl (Kroh) 2:46 - 7 parts
  • Ma Cherie Amour (Kroh) 3:24 - 7 parts
  • Stand By Me (Bri)  3:00 -6 parts

((Section time:  18:15)) (((42:39 total to here)) 

Part 3: Breaking up...

• Ain't No Sunshine (Kroh) 3:38 - 6 parts
  • Stop In the Name of Love (Kroh) 3:10 - 7 parts
  • Crying (Bri) 3:42 - 7 parts
  • Tainted Love (Kroh) 3:03 - 9 parts

((Section time:  13:33))  ((56:12 total to here))

Grand Finale...

• Silly Love Songs (Kroh) 4:36 - 8 parts

Total Time: 1:00:48 (plus pauses)

EDITED: Shuffled some. Added, Dropped, uploaded to Dropbox

Last edited by Ice Weasel on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 3 times in total

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Briallan
Officer

I like the idea of breaking the concert up into the "stages of love" haha -- though I tend to like to organize and categorize stuff anyway...

Since it's not strictly a Motown theme, I have other stuff from my back catalog you might want to consider. HOWEVER, most of these songs are not that danceable, so they might be out of place at a 'sock hop' theme.

• You Got It (Orbison)
  • It Aint Me Babe (Turtles version of Dylan song)
  • Let It Be Me
  • Love Theme from movie Romeo and Juliet

However, I really don't have strong feelings as to how you want to organize the concert and which songs you want to do -- everything we have will get played at some date. I am just throwing out some ideas for you to consider.

I redid Magic Moment BTW and turned in into a 8-part song (still 2:28)

This might be a good test of whether we have enuf of an audience base to pull a crowd up to our homestead area. We should  be pretty clear about location in our publicity material, and we should decide pretty soon when and where to do this --  We want to get reasonable publicity going for it this.

Ice Weasel

I did wander off the Motown thing... I still have a huge bunch of Motown, but I thought of the whole themed, staged, sock hop thing... 

I did look at Romeo and Juliet... it's just a very different piece from the hoppy dance stuff... but that might actually be a good thing, in context. Let me look and see where it could fit. Every sock hop needs a slow dance or two. 

Oh, and yes, please!  Hit me with the update on Magic Moment (or just replace the file in the dropbox). 8 is better. :-)

I know the Orbison... shoot!  someplace I have a solo version of Orbison's "Crying" for that matter. It's a good "hoppy" tune.  I can't conjure the other two in my head, I'll take a look. My greatest problem is what you've always said, Bri: cutting the list to "just" an hour. There are about 153 other songs I want to do, too! 

As for date/time: I am floored that there isn't anything scheduled for Valentine's Day night itself. The calendars at the official LOTRO site as well as at LOTRO-Players show nothing on Landroval on February 14th, but that might mean it's a no-one-plays night. I suppose there is a real life out there where people go out on Valentine's Day instead of play LOTRO. What an idea!  That's a Friday, this year, which would normally make it a decent concert night. Saturday, the 15th, Animal House is performing in Bree at 9pm Servertime. While I think 8pm Servertime is okay, we wouldn't get done by 9, so that isn't a good time. 

It looks like Animal House does a regular slot Saturdays, 9pm to 11pm Servertime. That's your prime time, right there. LBC does 22:00 (10PM) servertime every Sunday. For any "weekend night", Friday is about the only one open for the 9pm-11pm zone, which seems to be a "sweet spot". Maybe we ought to look at the 14th, or back it up a week to the 7th. I like the 7th less... until I think about the server may be a ghost-town on the 14th.

Ice Weasel

Revised Program in the OP.

Bri, are those other songs you thought of in your main dropbox? in the "Test" folder?

Briallan
Officer

I put those copies of those songs in a new folder Valentine Day Possibilities. But, again, I think you should decide on whether they fit the theme you have in mind, and many of these are not really sock-hop type songs. And they certainly aren't Motown, if you want to get back to that idea.

As for Feb. 14th being open, yes, it's because many bands play on a regular schedule - the LBC bandleader told me that they find it easiest to maintain the audience they've acquired that way. Right now, no established band that I know of plays on Fridays.

I don't really know if the server would be deserted on Feb. 14th. As you have already mentioned, Animal House plays regularly on Saturday, which most people consider a prime party/date night in RL, and they certainly have a regular audience. Also remember "prime time" EST is not "prime time" for everyone -- 8PM EST is only 5PM where I live. There seem to be a lot of factors that could affect whether that night would work -- are people going to be out doing RL Valentine Day stuff? Are people who aren't "involved' with someone not wanting to be reminded about Valentine's Day? Are there LOTRO couples who would love to have some Valentines' Day event in LOTRO?. As far as what nights will 'work' for performances and what nights won't, I am still learning. The one thing I HAVE learned is that you are fighting a big headwind if you schedule a concert that runs up against some major LOTRO event such as the opening day of one of the festivals.

It seems to me that if we say we're going to do a valentines day theme, then Saturday the 15th seems too late -- I would go on the 14th, or go earlier 'in anticipation' of the real world event. In fact, I am sort of wondering if we should just go for the 14th and just see what happens.  If no one comes, we won't try it again next year lol. I could attend a concert on the 14th -- for me and other west coast people 8PM or 9PM EST would still be "pre-evening." Still, earlier than the 14th also seems fine to me.

I do think we should decide on a date by end of Sunday meetup so we can do advance publicity and get our name on a spot on the lotroartists calendar. More early is more better, eh?

Ice Weasel

I'll give those a listen tonight. I want the MeetUp folder set by early afternoon, if I can.... 

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right.  I think we ought to go for Valentines Day itself... and it may be a good time to try getting people to the kin house in Thorin's Gate. 

As you all can tell, decisions have never been easy.

Ice Weasel

I did makes some changes... In the Dropbox as set above.

Bri, I started a parts assignment sheet, but can't upload it (just to try it... no names in it yet, not sure who will be coming). Is there a trick to uploading to the Gallery File Library?

Okay... See you all Sunday night, 9PM Servertime, House Courserrim!

Briallan
Officer

No special trick to uploading to file gallery: I just hit the browse button which brings up the select file dialog, select the file I want on my machine, and then hit the upload button. I just tried it and it worked for me (though, I have since deleted my stuff to save space).

However, if that doesn't work for you (guildlaunch does have issues from time-to-time ... wonder if some might be machine-specific ...), you can attach the spreadsheet to a mail to lotro.remediators@gmail.com, and I will upload it.

Briallan
Officer

Also: added a 7-part version of Roy Orbison's Crying to my Valentine Day's Possibilities folder - turned out really well I thought (no bagpipes lol) -- really think u should ditch one of my other songs and add this to the last section, which needs more songs -- I mean, really, what is love without tears anyway 

Ice Weasel

Oooo... I'll take a listen, but probably in the morning. I'm fading fast tonight.

Briallan
Officer

Just as well, I went back and tweaked it some more since your last post lol.

Raventrick

re: Band Practice Tonight

Bri and Kro:

I can only stay for a little while tonight. Love the Valentine's concert idea!

Ice Weasel

re: Re: Band Practice Tonight

Raventrick wrote:

Bri and Kro:

I can only stay for a little while tonight. Love the Valentine's concert idea!

No trouble, Raven!

I think that the Sunday MeetUps are going to be mostly information/discussion meetings going forward. We'll be trying pieces in-game for how they sound, but as for our "Seasoned Performers",... well... Winterstock certainly proved everyone knows the system, and can pull off the loading and playing thing.   As long as the songs are vetted (that they don't sound like six cats fighting over the mouse in a burlap bag), it's simply knowing who can be at the concert to assign parts to. 

See you tonight! (However briefly.  )

Ice Weasel

Okay... last time I'll fuss with the list before tonight. ... I think. 

What I REALLY wanted in the last section, "The Breakup", was J. Geils Band "Love Stinks". Unless every search engine I can think of is broken, there just aren't any midis out there for this. which... wow. MP3? Oh, yeah. Videos? Yep. Tons of Adam Sandler doing it in "The Wedding Singer" (which, if you know the original, is lame). Not even my super-undercover-shhh-don't-tell sites have a single Midi of it.

Although, now that I'm thinking of it... maybe I need to look for Neil Saddaka's "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do".  Or, Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover".... or... AAAAaaaargh! This is why I like it when other people set the song list. LOL

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: