Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Siltharan
Officer

re: Future Concerts/LMB Events

In thanks for the Lonely Mountain Band's gift to all of us for Winterstock, I offered our help in future events they might be needing help with. Here's a portion of Kiralynn's response:

---

Thank you for your kind offer of help.  As it happens, there are two upcoming events for which we need a band, yet no band has confirmed.

The first is the Carnival Ride on March 1, a horse parade from the Prancing Pony to the Horsefields, where we will have a riding team demonstration and other equestrian events.  We need a band to play Mardi Gras-themed music and one particular ABC song we can provide (5-part), which the team does their routine to.  A band would need to start at 2:15pm servertime and run for about 90 minutes.

The next is the Solve-a-mystery contest on March 15.  This is a roleplaying event where the first people to discover 'who done it' win prizes.  It takes place at a kinhouse in the Raglan neighborhood.  The in-character theme is an Ice Wine festival.  We start at 4pm server and run for about 90 minutes.

---

Are we interested at all? Both days are Saturdays, which means I'm about 50-50 on being able to make those. Given my work hours, I'd have to be off the entire day, considering I'd usually have to work during those times no matter if I open or close. :) Let me know if we should step up and fill these spots!

Briallan
Officer

Thank you, that was a great idea to offer our help! I feel strongly we should accept both opportunities  -- it would be good exposure for us. We will make it work somehow. At the very worst case, I can run six band members myself..... though I much prefer playing with other people!!!

Besides, it's a great opportunity to do some Samba music!!!

Siltharan
Officer

Mailed Kiralynn back to accept both performances. Details on "Ice Wine festival" music possibilities to come. Already have a "When the Saints Go Marching In" complete yet not uploaded (yet).

Hobbelion

Saturdays afternoons... well, I honestly doubt that I will make any of these dates. I have no plans those days yet, but I'm not going to commit a Saturday afternoon to staying home and playing LOTRO. If I absolutely have nothing going on and plan to stay home, then I can do it, but I'm definitely going to try to make plans those Saturdays.

Also besides the reason above, Saturdays (although not those two saturdays) is usually DC United day in which I tend to attend to the game in the evening if it's at home.

One good benefit to the time above is an opportunity for Euro zone players to participate if they wish and are able.

Briallan
Officer

I would recommend we try to limit ourselves to 6-part songs for these events at least for the time being, since based on the limited responses so far, we only have 3 or so live players (Bri, Kro and Del?) that are 'definite' so far, and so we may have to use my alts to make the numbers we need.

That said, other band members who would be able to play one or both of these concerts, please respond on this thread -- if we end up with a bigger turn out, we can reconsider....

Ice Weasel

I did find a pile of Zydeco and dixieland stuff last night, a lot of it works for 6 parts.  

Maybe we can do some "prioritized" part songs (if 8, play all; if 7, drop this track; if 6, drop that one, too...).  Might make stuff easier.

I should have a Mardi Gras folder in dropbox soon. 

"Mystery" presents a challenge. More "chamber music-y"? Things like "Somebody's Watching Me"? Hard to pin that down.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Briallan
Officer

Yeah, I like the prioritized idea -- we have done that for both graduation and Seeger actually, and that could help us when we get "down to the wire" -- another idea I had is that we might invite some 'guest artists' from other bands to sit in with us if we want to boost our numbers.

I wrote Kiralynn last night and asked her to write Silth or I back if she had any "more detailed" ideas than what she originally presented to Silth. We can prolly continue to engage with her as we work thru our song ideas so that it matches her concept of the event.

Ice Weasel

"Mardi Gras" says "Dixieland Jazz" and "Cajun Zydeco" to me. (And I do love Zydeco). 

Well, it says other things, too, but drinking rum and tossing beads to ladies for ... uh... "the view:" aren't things that translate to the game. (I've spent a couple Mardi Gras weeks in Big Easy, but it's like the 60's.. if you can remember it all, you probably weren't really there.)

Anyway, "Mardi Gras Maybe" in my dropbox has a pile of new zydeco and other tunes that are related to Fat Tuesday one way or the other.  No where near 90 minutes, but that will take more time to fill. I set all of them for 6 parts, but better arrangements for more instruments are in a folder "Big" inside the Mardi Gras one.

If anyone needs translations of the titles, let me know.

Lyrics to Danse de Mardi Gras:

Les Mardi Gras vient de tout partout, tout le tour du moyeu.

Vient une fois par an pour demander la charité. Une vieille patate, une patate et des gratons.

Les Mardi Gras vient de tout partout, tout le tour du moyeu. Vient une par an pour demander la charité. Une vieille patate, une patate et des gratons.

Capitaine, capitaine voyage ton flag, tout le tour du moyeu. Une fois par an pour demander la charité. Et des patates, des patates et des gratons.

Les Mardi Gras vient de l’Angleterre, tout le tour du moyeu. Vient une fois par an pour demander la charité. Une vieille patate, une patate et des gratons.

—-Le Chanson de Mardi Gras, in French

The Mardi Gras come from everywhere around the hub.

Once each year to ask for charity. An old potato, a potato and some cracklins.

The Mardi Gras come from everywhere around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity. An old potato, a potato and some cracklins.

Captain, captain wave your flag, all around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity.

The Mardi Gras come from England, all around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity. And potatoes, potatoes and cracklins.

—-The Song of Mardi Gras - in English

Briallan
Officer

Yeah, I was drawing a blank on mystery as well -- the only one I could think of is the theme from the Pink Panther, but my mom* is a kind of list buff, and she did an internet search and came up with a ton of stuff that she thought people might recognize. HOWEVER, this includes some 'magic' and 'ghost' and 'spy' kind of stuff as well as 'mystery' ... so I'm not sure if these are all good. Anyway, when Kiralynn provides more detail on the mystery one, that should focus us better.

magical mystery tour - beatles
pink panther - movie theme
hotel california
ghost riders in the sky
do you believe in magic
people are strange
black magic woman -santana/fleetwod mac
spooky - maybe we should do this for next Halloween?
every little thing she does is magic
magic - oliva newton john
xanadu - oliva newton john
magic bus - the who
magic carpet ride - steppenwolf
this magic moment
love potion number nine
i put a spell on you - screamin jay hawkins/ccr
disturbia -- I came up with this one, but maybe it's not really mystery, just weirdness haha
magic man - heart
dark side of the moon - pink floyd ------ other stuff by pink floyd?
the joker - steve miller bvnd
she's [just?] a mystery to me -- is this actually a song title or just words from a song? a litte vague on this...
twin peaks - TV show theme
twilight zone - TV show theme
secret agent man - TV show theme
x-files - TV show theme
alred hitchcock - theme
james bond - movie themes
tony rome - movie theme
devil with a blue dress on
eyes wide shut - movie theme

* - She said I had to give her credit for coming up with this list. So I did lol.

Ashigaru Trecalia

The Lady Ashigaru would be delighted to support you and them in this (especially after those [CENSORED] Gank Squad freeps ruined their filming attempt).

Ah, that's great! Glad you can play with us for those dates!

Had to look up Gank Squad - so u play Eve Online, Lady Ashigaru?

Ashigaru Trecalia

No...they're here. LMB was trying to film a reenactment of the Battle of the Five Armies. Only place you can do that here is in the Ettenmoors, so they had a group of Monster players agreeing to take part, including some creeps freshly created by LMB. I didn't realize it at first (I thought it was a creep raid getting ready to take a relic from Ost Ringdyr), but when I realized that they weren't counterattacking me, I stopped my attack and even rode down to take part...until a group of high-ranked freeps (literally, the kinship name IS The Gank Squad) decided that now would be a good time to wipe out the creep actors. At that point, said freeps went to the top of my Kill On Sight list.

Kills me when kids (and I mean mean little kids, no matter what their physical age) decide it's fun to wreck other people's creative efforts. Ongoing debates about how/why to make such behavior "against the rules" and therefore punishable continues, but with no progress for the "champions of the arts".  (On the other hand... I haven't seen Cappy6 and his fishslaps for a long, long time, so maybe they do grow up eventually... or at least get bored and wander off.) 

On a happier note: Here are some ideas for the "Mardi Gras" costuming (for the horse parade):

Ice Weasel

Ladies dresses, Mardi Gras look:

Ashigaru Trecalia

Is the Reveller's attire unbound? I'm homestly not sure. (And at least Wilandria is someone I'd want to kill anyways just because those Epic Conclusions HURT!)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: