Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Briallan
Officer

re: Future Concerts/LMB Events

Okay, looking at everyone's feedback, I sent a response off to Kiralynn, and said we would prefer the Noon-1PM slot, with the 5PM formation riding demo and the 9PM concert as alternates if someone already has the noon slot. However, I also said (without making a commitment) we might be open to doing other slots if they have trouble finding a band to fill those slots.

Will probably start a new thread specifically for the spring racing carnival when I get a response from her.

Ehn Farad

I've been in conversation with Kiralynn about possibly doing the comedy sketch portion of the festivities, and in passing mentioned that the Remediators were still considering when we might be playing (sorry, that was yesterday before your post above, Briallan), and asked her what the "name that tune" event entailed. Here's what she said:

I'm hoping the Remediators will take the 9pm concert timeslot (the biggest and best slot), perhaps even start at 8:30pm to play during the Bree Cup, the big race that is the highlight of the entire day.

Name-that-song is actually something the Remediators might be interested in, if you're not busy with other things. The idea is to have multiple versions of a song for a band to play. Version 1 plays one bar, version 2 plays two bars, and so forth. The idea is for the audience to shout out the correct song title (or fairly close, it doesn't have to be exactly word-for-word). Those who shout out the correct title first score points, and those with the most points win prizes. So, the band would play the first bar... wait about 10 seconds, play the first 2 bars... wait 10 seconds, play the first 3 bars (not the next 3, the first three) and so on. It could all be done with one ABC file and continuous play, if the pauses were pre-written into the ABC notation. The band could simply stop playing when I announced that the right answer had been shouted. We'd want to do 10-12 songs of country theme, starting with really popular and easy-to-name songs, and slowly working toward more obscure/older songs. By gradually becoming more difficult, we separate out the winners more easily.

The game can be done with one musician, but it's more fun with a larger group. Let me know if you and/or the band would be interested in playing this part of the rodeo.

I am planning on doing the comedy sketch, which consists of 3 5-10 minute performances interspersed among a few of the shorter events, taking place 6pm-7:30pm at Hengstacer Farms.  Here's what she said about it:

The length of the skit should be three segments of 5-10 minutes. They take place between the other events (barrel race, name-that-breed, and name-that-song) as a transition. The format is typically 2+ people stand in front of the audience performing emotes (to keep it visually interesting). They tell jokes or do "Who's On First" style comedy skits. Comical music during the skits is optional. Bright, wild outfits are traditional. The pipe festival mask is almost always worn by one clown, with a beaver, sheep, pig, chicken or other animal mask on others, but that's all optional. The only real requirements are wild outfits and family-friendly material.

Would anyone be interested in performing with me? You'd be welcome to help write the skits/jokes, or I could do that myself, whichever you prefer. As soon as I can get the performers nailed down, we can get our clown outfits sorted out and take some screen caps for her promotional materials.

If anyone is interested in being a clown with me, or if you know anyone who would be interested/reliable, please let me know!

Briallan
Officer

Update ... I heard back from Kiralynn.

The Noon-1PM slot has been taken by Lilikate's band so unfortunately we can't do that one. However, as Rho mentioned, Kiralynn would really like us to do the 830PM Bree Cup and 9PM Concert, and so I agreed.

Other than the noon-1PM slot, all other slots are currently open, so the question at this point is ... how do people feel about doing other slots during race day? I imagine that the Bree cup and the Concert will constitute ... an hour and a half??? (could be more if we wanted to make it longer) .. so think about your endurance :)

Rho has mentioned doing the comedy skit, but that would only take only one other person, not the whole band, do that's certainly doable....I would be happy to do it if no one else wanted to -- although, maybe a dwarf and elf duet would be funny .. hint hint :)

So please let me know your thoughts as to other slots... I realize that the 830PM EDT time slot means Malvy probably can't make this one, but it seemed like the right decision under the circumstances.

Ehn Farad

I'm open for the day so any of the other slots would be fine with me, too. It might be fun to do the name that tune thing, and I have a lot of country music midis that would be suitable, but I'm up for anything.

Also, the comedy stuff requires two other people besides myself, so there's room for you and a dwarf!

In terms of music for the dance party, it might be fun to do an electronic dance music set, complete with light show.

Which reminds me - down the road, as a separate side project for anyone who's interested, I've long wanted to put together a quartet to do Kraftwerk songs, complete with suitable costumes. Maybe for around the time of Weatherstock. Something to think about if anyone is interested.

Malvy
GDPR#3463094
Officer

re: GDPR#3463094

GDPR#3463094
Briallan
Officer

OK haha have heard the name Kraftwerk but wasn't familiar with their music -- so I just listened some of their stuff on utube (the Robots, the Model, ...)

so where to begin.... I like the music, and would be up for doing a show based on Kraftwerk. Even though the instruments we have available are 'period' instruments, I have been surprised by how well you can do songs that have electronic effects if you use the right instruments and combinations of instruments -- though it can be hard to recreate them exactly as you hear them in the 'real world'. Also (based on my limited sampling) Kraftwerk stuff is pretty danceable (which seems to be important for a large part of the LOTRO concert goers).

As far as what is appropriate music for LOTRO, we have certainly played lots of music that isn't 'lore-friendly' and gotten very good responses from audiences ... possibly Laurelin is different (don't know for sure) but audiences on Landroval seem very open to different musical styles.

--

Getting back to the racing carnival .... as Kiralynn says in her forum post "Equestrian, country, and western music is encouraged but all songs are welcome." Different band slots have different roles in this day long event, and maybe different types of music might be appropriate for different parts of this day-long event .. we should continue to discuss that with Kiralynn and among ourselves.

Ice Weasel

I am certainly interested in exploring things like Kraftwerk in-game.  There is a lot of music that is a mental mis-match, until you hear it done.

Case in point, there was a BRILLIANT band outside the Pony the other night.  Three parts, all songs done with Drums, Theorbo, and Bagpipes. And they did classic rock, new wave, even some hip-hop stuff, all brilliantly. Their arrangements certainly were a key factor in that, and I suspect strongly that they (he? It may well have been one person multi-boxing) did a lot of Anvil work on the midis.  Look for DisEnchanted around the music scene; I know Tromblon from Les Beaux Chapeaux was there, and signed them for a May guest spot at their Sunday Night concerts.  

My point is that off-the-wall, or at least outside-the-box is great, and can be stupendously wonderful when it works well. 

As to the Windy Acres event... I know that Kiralynn likes "soft" guidelines, but for things she has firmly in mind herself she gives good direction, and has even supplied the music files for (the Dressage portion of the March event, for example).  I've got some Country stuff (in fact, I played "She's in Love with the Elf", a LOTRO riff on a Martina McBride song, last night at The Just Abby's "Welcome, Spring! Concert"  at the RoadKill Bar and Grill. I'm not as much into the George Jones / Tammy Winette sorts of things, but those can be good, too if polished up well.  

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Ehn Farad

I'm pleased to hear some people are interested in the Kraftwerk thing. Down the road. I see it as a side project more than a show, but we can talk about that when there's time to really get into it. I'm a humongous fan and I think there are some songs that might really translate surprisingly well.

I'm looking forward to checking out DisEnchanted. They sound amazing.

I have a lot of classic country songs, bluegrass, and folksy stuff that Jeb plays solo out and about from time to time. I think a lot of it would be suitable. We'd need to redo the ABCs because they're all solo right now, but if she's looking for country/western then I think we'd have that part covered. But we should double-check what Kiralynn wants for the big end of day concert because I think the country stuff was just if we wanted to do the name that tune thing. Unless I'm wrong?

I'm creating a separate thread for the comedy thing, for anyone who's interested in getting involved with that. Aside from the clowning, I was thinking it would be fun to have one person doing silly sound effects on pibgorn or something, and another doing rimshots and so forth on the drums, too. Maybe the same person could do both.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: