Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ice Weasel

re: Scheduling Around Other Bands

I'm starting a new thread rather than use the Valentines Day Concert thread for this. Seems that it will be a bigger topic than a couple posts.

I had recapped an in-game conversation I had had with a member of another band. That band also planned on a Valentines concert on the same night we are. They rolled theirs back to a later hour to avoid conflict once they knew of ours.  It highlighted the need to have a central schedule of some kind. The person I talked to agreed that the usual places don't seem to update as often if at all. (I offered to promote their concert at ours, which I thought was only fair.) I proposed some sort of email exchange, where band leaders/schedulers could email one another with dates/times/places, so a better picture of what is open and who reserved which time when is built. 

Bri suggested a website with a calendar, write-permissions to the calendar going to band leaders. She also brought up needing to learn more about the state of LOTROArtists. 

Silth echoed the website idea, probably a Guild Launch site.

----

I think a website is fine, but it is open to exactly what happened here. Who maintains it? If they move on to other things, how does it continue to be maintained? I'm not sure that rebuilding LOTROArtists would be the answer.

Ultimately, it falls back to the old adage: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Unless all bands use a resource, it can't cover all bases. I think that it's legitimate to say "unless you register your time, it may get booked by someone else". Again, that means something universally used and updated.

My thought of an email list has problems, too. If there is a conflict, the "conflictee" would have to contact the "conflitor" and enter a dialog to fix it. Also, the list would have to be maintained. If the contact person left the game, that band wouldn't get the info. With a calendar site, at least other members could see the information, and request access to replace the member who has left. 

What kills me is that there IS a universal resource and no one uses it.  On the official LOTRO forums, there is an event calendar. I've submitted Valentines Day for us, but it has not been approved by the mod there yet (after three days of waiting, and counting). It does seem more for recurring events. https://www.lotro.com/forums/calendar.php Note that you probably have to be logged in to see anything.

The person I spoke with in-game mentioned that Lonely Mountain Band tries to coordinate Landroval, and I agreed. I just think it's a LOT of work for one person, and then there is the chaos factor of having bands tell them their plans, or not.  

I don't know that there is a simple answer; I think we may just have to adopt a policy of putting out publicity as soon as possible on new concert dates, after we look around to see if we can find anyone else on those dates. If later someone else announces on the date, try to message them with links to our announcement, and other than that, not care so much if they overlap. Kind of thick-skinned, but likely the only practical answer.

"A dwarf minstrel who sings about goats... Krohkur? Is that you?"
Briallan
Officer

Here is an update on LotroArtists (just noticed it this morning) that explains why site has been somewhat inactive recently, and a proposal for solving the issue (allowing bandleaders to add events to the calendar directly). I will respond to her offer (and say that I would be in favor of such a proposal).

Ice Weasel

Sad to see Floradine unable to keep up, but great for her career. :-)

Yes, I would endorse that solution: Opening the calendar for people to post to. Exactly what we had been tossing around, without having to reinvent the wheel.

Siltharan
Officer

Thanks for posting the link and responding, Bri (as well as Krohkur for his response on that article). I was going to respond as well, but my sentiments essentially mirror both of yours, plus I'm not totally sure who should step forward for publicity. It seems both of you have taken the reins of the PR monster. She did ask for a band name for the leader(s) volunteering to add events for their band to the calendar, so I'd recommend you both mention The Remediators so she can get whatever plan into place for the future of the calendar.

Briallan
Officer

Just went back and checked the updated comments on that LotroArtists article, and it seems that Floradine is going to go ahead with this plan, so our issues should resolved in the near future.

Ice Weasel

Keep in mind that this still won't be perfect.

If a band doesn't use that site, then their information won't be there to check against. This will be an on-going thing, no matter what resources we use. Best thing to do is resolve to do our best to be "good citizens" in the community, and do what we can to push our date/time/location information as much as we can. At some point, all you can do is what you can do, and some problems will happen regardless. 

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Courserrim on Landroval Forum Index -> Minstrel Mayhem/The Remediators All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: